Albert Finch vs Randolph Turpin For The British Middleweight Championship Offical Onsite Programme Plus Mark Hart vs Don Cockell

Albert Finch vs Randolph Turpin For The British Middleweight Championship Offical Onsite Programme Plus Mark Hart vs Don Cockell

Albert Finch vs Randolph Turpin for the British middleweight championship offical on-site 24 page programme also featuring, Mark Hart vs Don Cockell for the British light heavyweight title, 17th October 1950, Harringay Arena, London.

Condition very good (programme has been marked by an enthusiastic fight fan, also some wear & tear with small creases to edges and corners).

Turpin W KO 5
Cockell W KO 14

Price: £95

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Born in Leamington, Warwickshire, England, Turpin is considered one of the most exciting personalities in British boxing. He won the 1945 British Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) welterweight title the 1946 ABA middleweight title.

As a professional, he won the British and European middleweight titles before scoring a major upset over Hall of Famer Sugar Ray Robinson on July 10, 1951 to win the World title. The victory over Robinson made the hard-punching Turpin a national hero.

Turpin lost the title to Robinson in the rematch, but rebounded to TKO Don Cockell in 11 rounds to win the British Empire light heavyweight title. Following a win over Walter Cartier, he lost a 15-round decision to Hall of Famer Bobo Olson for the World middleweight title on October 21, 1953.

Turpin, who also won the British Empire middleweight and British light heavyweight titles in his career, boxed until 1964.

Don Cockell, fought for most of his career as a light-heavyweight and became the British and European champion at that weight. Later in his career he moved up to heavyweight and held the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles. He is best remembered for fighting against Rocky Marciano for the World heavyweight championship

Early Life
His full name was Donald John Cockell and he was born on 22 September 1928 in Balham, London, the son of Kate Cockell, a domestic servant from Battersea. He never knew his father. He was a blacksmith by trade and as a result, developed a strong physique. He began boxing in fairground booths and soon rose through the amateur ranks until he was ready to turn professional in 1946.

Professional Career
Cockell had his first professional fight on 26 June 1946 against Trevor Lowder and won it by a knockout in the fifth round. He continued to build up an impressive fighting record marred by the occasional defeat. By 1950 he was ready to challenge for the vacant British light-heavyweight title recently vacated due to the retirement of Freddie Mills. On 17 October at Harringay Arena he fought Mark Hart and took the title with a knockout in the fourteenth round.

Cockell fought and won two more fights before fighting the Frenchman Albert Yvel for his European light-heavyweight title. The bout took place on 27 March 1951 at Earls Court, London and Cockell won by a technical knockout in the sixth round.

Cockell had two more wins before defending his British and European titles against Albert Finch, who had previously been British middleweight champion. The bout was held on 16 October 1951, at Harringay Arena, and Cockell won by a knockout in the seventh round.

Cockell decisively lost his next fight against the American heavyweight Jimmy Slade. Fighting at Harringay Arena, Cockell was knocked down twice in the first round, once in the second, and twice more in the fourth. The referee then stopped the fight. Cockell followed this defeat with a points win against Italian light-heavyweight Renato Tontini, despite being knocked down twice in the second round.

Cockell then fought against Randolph Turpin, who the year before, had beaten Sugar Ray Robinson to become World middleweight champion, before losing his title in the re-match. Cockell was defending his British title, and both fighters were contesting the vacant Commonwealth light-heavyweight title. The bout was at the White City Stadium on 10 June 1952. Cockell was knocked down three times during the fight and lost on a technical knockout in the eleventh round.

One of the reasons for the defeat was the difficulty that Cockell had in making the weight for light-heavyweight fights.

He therefore decided to subsequently fight as a heavyweight. His next three fights, at heavyweight were all won by technical knockouts. The third one was against the Welshman, Tommy Farr, who had been an excellent heavyweight, fighting against the great Joe Louis, but was now at the end of his career.

The fight against Farr was a final eliminator for the British heavyweight title, and so put Cockell in line for a title challenge against the holder Johnny Williams. The bout British and Commonwealth titles was held at Harringay Arena on 12 May 1953, and Cockell won on points over fifteen rounds.

Cockell then had two more wins before defending his Commonwealth title against Johnny Arthur in Johannesburg, South Africa. He won the fight on points after fifteen rounds.

Cockell moved rapidly up the heavyweight rankings by scoring three wins against American fighters. First he beat Roland La Starza on points at Earls Court Arena, then he had successive victories over Harry (Kid) Matthews, first at the White City Stadium and then at Sicks' Stadium, Seattle.

These victories put him in line for a title fight against the World champion Rocky Marciano. This was the first British World title bid since Tommy Farr had fought Joe Louis in 1937.

World Heavyweight Title Fight
On 16 May 1955, Cockell fought Marciano for the World heavyweight title at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, CA. Cockell was a 10-1 underdog and weighed 205 pounds against Marciano’s 189. For the first three rounds the fight was fairly even, but as it progressed further Cockell began to take more and more punishment, without being able to hurt Marciano at all. Cockell ended the eighth round hanging through the ropes after withstanding a terrific beating.

Marciano won the fight by a technical knockout 54 seconds into round nine after Cockell had been knocked down twice, for counts of eight and seven. After the fight, Marciano stated, "He's got a lot of guts. I don't think I ever hit anyone else any more often or harder."

Many boxing fans in Britain felt that Marciano employed unfair tactics, such as hitting after the bell and low punches, but although the British Boxing Board of Control protested, Cockell himself made no complaints.

The title fight had taken much out of Cockell, and he lost his subsequent two fights. In September 1955 he lost to the Cuban, Nino Valdes at the White City Stadium by a technical knockout in the third round. He weighed 216 pounds for the fight. In April 1956 he was knocked out in the second round Kitione Lave, known as the “Tongan Terror”. That was his final fight. In May 1956 he was stripped of his Commonwealth title and in July he surrendered his British title and retired.

Cockell sued the Daily Mail after the newspaper had described him as being ‘overweight and flabby’ for his last fight, and not giving his all. He received £7500 damages with costs.

He tried various jobs including running a farm, being a publican, and running a haulage firm. His last job was as an emergency maintenance man. He died of cancer on 18 July 1983 at a hospital in Tooting. He was married to Patricia Mary Cockell.

Fight Record
He had 81 official fights winning 66 with 38 knockouts and lost 14 with one draw.