Alan Minter vs Vito Antuofermo II Also Featuring Charlie Magri And Johnny Owen Official Onsite Programme SIGNED By Minter And Magri

Alan Minter vs Vito Antuofermo II Also Featuring Charlie Magri And Johnny Owen Official Onsite Programme SIGNED By Minter And Magri

Alan Minter vs Vito Antuofermo II official on-site 28 page programme also featuring Charlie Magri vs Giovanni Camputaro and Johnny Owen vs John Feeney plus Cornelius Boza-Edwards vs Ron Green, SIGNED By Alan Minter and Charlie Magri, 28th June 1980, Wembley Arena, London.

Conditon very good (scuffs & creases on front cover however, signatures are clear & bold, discolouration on back cover)

Minter W TKO 8
Alan Minter defended his title against the man he had won it from only three months earlier.

Magri W TKO 3

Owen W Pts over 15 rounds

Boza-Edwards W TKO 6

Price: £135

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Alan Minter won the bronze medal at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. Soon after, Minter began his career in London on Halloween night of the same year by knocking out Maurice Thomas in six rounds.

Minter won five fights in a row by knockout, and in 1973, Pat Dwyer became the first boxer to go the distance with him, over eight rounds in London. Minter won his next five fights, three by knockout, before tasting defeat for the first time after the refree stopped the fight in the eighth round to King George Aido due to bad cuts suffered by Minter. Two more wins followed before facing Jan Magziarz, who beat him twice in a row (once in the eighth and once in the sixth) again due to cuts.

1974 was a mixed year for Minter, beating Tony Byrne by a decision in eight, losing in two to Ricky Torres (again on cuts), having a third fight with Magziarz result in a no contest in four rounds, and closing the year with a win in eight rounds by decision in his first international fight, against Shako Mamba in Hamburg, Germany.

1975 was the year that saw Minter shine. He won four fights in a row, including another bout in Hamburg, and by the end of the year, he challenged Kevin Finnegan for the British Middleweight title, winning it by a 15 round decision. In 1976 he won six fights, to make it ten wins in a row. Among the boxers he beat were Billy Knight by a knockout in two and Finnegan once again, by decision in 15, both in defence of his British title, along with former World title challenger Tony Licata, knocked out in six, and American Olympic Games Gold medal winner Ray Seales, beaten in five. These wins gave Minter a ranking among the top ten Middleweight challengers of the time.

In 1977, he won the European Middleweight title by beating Germano Valsecchi by a knockout in five in Italy. But in his next fight his winning streak ended when he lost to former World title challenger Ronnie Harris by a knockout in eight.

Minter returned to top ten challenger status by upsetting the former Welterweight and Jr. Middleweight World champion Emile Griffith with a ten round decision win in Monte Carlo, but then, he lost his European title to Gratien Tonna by a knockout in eight at Milan. He closed '77 with a third 15 round decision win over Finnegan to retain his British title.

1978 was a sad year for Minter, although he won all three of his bouts. On February 15, at the Muhammad Ali-Leon Spinks I undercard in Las Vegas, he won his first bout in the United States by knocking out Sandy Torres in five. Then, he went to Italy once again, to regain his European Middleweight title by knocking out Angelo Jaccopucciy in twelve rounds. Jacopucciy died a few days after the bout, in another boxing tragedy.

Minter finished his year by avenging his loss to Tonna with a six round knockout.

In 1979, Minter won all four of his fights, two of them by knockout, and in 1980, he was finally given the opportunity all fighters dream of: On March 16 of that year, in Las Vegas, Nevada, he was given a shot at champion Vito Antuofermo's World Middleweight title at the Caesars Palace. He won the title by a 15 round decision, and in a rematch, he retained the World title by a knockout in eight rounds. Minter's run as World champion came to an end on September 27 of that year, when he lost by a knockout in three to Marvin Hagler at Wembley Arena in London. After the fight was stopped, Minter's supporters caused a riot, throwing beer cans and glass into the ring and both boxers had to be ushered away by the police.

Minter beat fringe contender Ernie Singletary in London, in 1981, but after losses to future Hagler challengers Mustafa Hamsho and Tony Sibson, both also in London, he retired for good.

He left boxing with a record of 39 wins, 9 losses and 1 no contest, with 23 wins by knockout.

Charlie Magri (born 20 July 1956 in Tunis, Tunisia) is a former English flyweight. He is from a Maltese family that settled in Stepney, London where he grew up. During his professional career he held the British, European and WBC World flyweight titles.

Amateur Career
After a junior career with Millwall F.C., Magri as an amateur boxed for Arbour Youth youth club, and gained the following ABA titles:

* ABA Youth Champion (Class A) - 1972
* ABA Youth Champion (Class B) - 1973
* ABA Light-flyweight Champion (48kg) - 1974
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1975
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1976
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1977

He also boxed for Great Britain in the 1976 Summer Olympics losing in the third round to Ian Clyde of Canada.

Professional Career
Magri was 5 ft 3 in tall and had an exciting, aggressive style, being a two-handed puncher who did not care much for defence. He was managed by Terry Lawless.

He had his first professional fight in October 1977, at the age of twenty-one. He knocked out Neil McLaughlin in the second round at the Royal Albert Hall.

In only his third fight he gained the vacant British flyweight title after his fight with Dave Smith was stopped in the seventh round.

In his twelfth fight, in May 1979, having won the previous eleven, he won on points against Franco Udella to take the European flyweight title. He won on points over twelve rounds at the Empire Pool, Wembley.

In December 1979, he defended his European title against Manuel Carrasco, of Spain, winning on points. In June 1980, he defended it again, this time against Giovanni Camputaro of Italy, winning on a technical knockout in the third.

In February 1981, he defended his European title against Spaniard, Enrique Rodriguez Cal, knocking him out in the second round. In September he fought a re-match with Cal in Aviles, Spain, and again knocked him out in the second.

World Title
In March 1983, he fought Eleoncio Mercedes, of the Dominican Republic, for the WBC World flyweight title. The fight was at the Empire Pool, Wembley and Magri won the title when the fight was stopped in the seventh on cuts.

In September 1983, he defended his World title against Frank Cedeno, of the Philippines. The fight was at the Empire Pool, and Magri lost his title when the referee stopped the fight in the sixth, after Magri had been put down three times.

Rest Of Career
In his next fight, in August 1984, Magri fought for the vacant European flyweight title that he had previously relinquished.

He fought Italian, Franco Cherchi in Cagliari, Italy. Magri won in the first round when a clash of heads left the Italian so badly cut that the referee had to stop the fight.

In his next fight, in February 1985, he fought for the WBC World flyweight title again. Since Magri had lost it, it had changed hands several times and was now held by Sot Chitalada of Thailand. The fight was held at the Alexandra Palace, London and Chitalada won on a technical knockout at the start of the fifth, after Magri’s corner retired him.

In October 1985, Magri fought a re-match against Franco Cherchi, in Alessandria, Italy, winning by a knockout in the second round.

In May 1986, Magri had his last fight, defending his European title against Duke McKenzie of Croydon. Magri had relinquished his British flyweight title in August 1981, and McKenzie was now the holder. The fight was stopped in the fifth round when Magri was knocked down and his manager, Terry Lawless threw in the towel when Magri beat the count.

Life After Boxing
Magri was the manager for super-featherweight boxer, Dean Pithie. Magri later owned the Victoria pub in Bow, East London.