Riddick Bowe vs Bruce Seldon Also Featuring Bobby Czyz vs Bash Ali Official Onsite Programme

Riddick Bowe vs Bruce Seldon Also Featuring Bobby Czyz vs Bash Ali Official Onsite Programme

Riddick Bowe vs Bruce Seldon also featuring Bobby Czyz vs Bash Ali WBA cruiserweight World title official on-site 18 page programme, 9th August 1991, Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Condition mint

Bowe W KO 1
* Seldon was knocked down twice

Czyz W unanimous decision

Price: £35

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Riddick Bowe vs Bruce Seldon - KO 1

Riddick Lamont Bowe (born August 10, 1967) an American former two-time World heavyweight champion, having first won the WBA, WBC and IBF titles in 1992, thus becoming undisputed heavyweight champion.

Bowe's second reign as heavyweight champion was in 1995, when he won the WBO title. He retired in 1996, but made a return to the ring in 2004. He has been inactive since 2008, when he won his last pro bout in Germany.

Bowe became the first fighter to knock down and defeat Evander Holyfield when he defeated Holyfield for the World heavyweight title in 1992 by unanimous decision for the undisputed World heavyweight title. Holyfield won the rematch by decision when he regained the title from Bowe in 1993. Bowe later became the first fighter to stop Holyfield by TKO, when he won their third match in 1995. Bowe's professional boxing record stands at 43–1 with one no-contest, and 33 stoppages. Bowe ranked as the 21st greatest heavyweight of all time in a 2010 article by BoxingScene, was inducted into the 2015 class for the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Early Years
Bowe was born on August 10, 1967, the twelfth of his mother Dorothy Bowe's thirteen children. Bowe was born and raised in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. His brother Henry died of AIDS, and his sister Brenda was stabbed to death by a drug addict during an attempted robbery.

Amateur Boxing Career
As an amateur, Bowe won the prestigious New York Golden Gloves Championship and other tournaments. In 1984, age 17, he knocked out opponent James Smith in just 4 seconds.

In 1985, at the National Golden Gloves championships, he lost to Fort Worth Heavyweight Donald Stephens. Bowe won the silver medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics, where he was stopped in two rounds by future World heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.

Amateur Highlights
* Amateur Record: 104-18
* 1983 at United States Junior Championships, as a middleweight, lost to Adolpho Washington by second round TKO
* 1985 Junior World Champion as a light heavyweight, in competition in Bucharest. Defeated Péter Hart of Hungary in final.
* 1987 Heavyweight Bronze Medallist at Pan-American Games in Indianapolis. Lost to Jorge Luis Gonzalez on points
* 1988 Super Heavyweight Silver Medalist, boxing at the 1988 Summer Olympic Games, the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. Results were:
* Defeated Biko Botowamungu (Zaire, Congo) KO 2
* Defeated Peter Hrivnak (Czechoslovakia) TKO 1
* Defeated Alex Miroshnichenko (Soviet Union) on points
* Lost to Lennox Lewis (Canada) TKO by 2

New York Golden Gloves Championships
Bowe won four New York Golden Gloves Championships. Bowe won the 1985 178 lb Novice Championship, 1986 178 lb Open Championship and the 1987 and 1988 Super Heavyweight Open Championship. Bowe trained at the Bed-Stuy BA.

Professional Career
Bowe turned professional after his Olympic loss. Highly regarded trainer Eddie Futch took on the job of developing Bowe as he saw the talent. Eddie would say that Bowe had more potential than any boxer he had ever trained.

Bowe turned professional in March 1989, and knocked out Lionel Butler. His then manager, Rock Newman kept Bowe active, fighting 13 times in 1989, beating journeymen, the most notable being Garing Lane whom he beat twice.

In September 1990, Bowe made his first step up in class, fighting faded ex-champion Pinklon Thomas, who he dominated until Thomas gave up after eight rounds. The following month, Bowe knocked out Bert Cooper in two rounds, which added to his reputation and high ranking.

In March 1991, Bowed knocked k1984 Olympic Super Heavyweight Gold medalist Tyrell Biggs. In Bowe's next fight, ex-champion Tony Tubbs appeared to outbox and outsmart Bowe in a close bout, only to have the judges award Bowe a unanimous decision. In August 1991, Bowe knocked out future World heavyweight champion Bruce Seldon in one round. In July 1992 knocked out South African Pierre Coetzer in the seventh round of a World title eliminator.

Fights Against Elijah Tillery
Bowe fought two interesting bouts against Elijah Tillery in Atlantic City in 1991. Their first fight at Harrah's Casino was known as the 'crazy fight' for its bizarre conclusion. Bowe dominated the first round and dropped Tillery. After the round ended, Tillery walked toward Bowe and taunted him, and Bowe responded by punching Tillery. Tillery then threw several low kicks at Bowe, who then unleashed a flurry of punches on Tillery as he lay on the ropes. Bowe's trainer Rock Newman grabbed Tillery from behind on the ring apron and pulled him over the ropes as Bowe continued to throw punches. Tillery somersaulted over the ropes, and was quickly detained by security.

After order was restored and the fighters returned to the ring, Tillery and Bowe continued a war of words, and minor incidents continued until the ring was cleared. Tillery was controversially disqualified for kicking Bowe, with Bowe getting the win, much to the surprise of the television announcers. The referee, Karl Milligan, had stepped between the two fighters to separate them and stepped forward as he did so, inadvertently missing the action behind him after the bell between the combatants. The fighters fought a rematch two months later at Convention Hall in Atlantic City, with Bowe dominating and stopping Tillery in four rounds.

World Heavyweight Champion
In November 1992 he fought reigning champ Evander Holyfield for the undisputed heavyweight title. With his heart and dedication still in question, Bowe won a unanimous decision in an entertaining fight, flooring Holyfield in the 11th round. However, it was the tenth round most boxing fans will remember. The epic brutal back and forth exchanges helped make it Ring Magazine's "Round of the Year." Commentator Al Bernstein exclaimed, ""That was one of the greatest rounds in heavyweight history. Period!"
A couple of weeks earlier in London, Bowe's old Olympic rival, Lennox Lewis, knocked out Canadian Donovan "Razor" Ruddock in two rounds, establishing himself as the World Boxing Council's number one contender.

The Bowe-Holyfield and Lewis-Ruddock fights were part of a mini-tournament, whereby all four fighters agreed the two winners would meet each other for the undisputed World heavyweight championship. Bowe's manager Rock Newman made a proposal: the $32 million purse HBO was offering should be split 90-10 in Bowe's favour, an 'absurd' offer which Lennox Lewis rejected. Lewis's manager, Frank Maloney, rejected another offer of two million for Lewis to fight on a Bowe undercard, citing his distrust of the Bowe camp after the aforementioned financial negotiations. Bowe responded by holding a press conference in which he dumped the WBC World heavyweight championship belt into a trash can rather than fighting Lewis.

Bowe's first defence of his remaining titles came on February 6, 1993, when he fought 34-year-old former champion Michael Dokes at Madison Square Garden and knocked him out in the first round. In Bowe's next fight, May 22, 1993 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., Bowe knocked out Jesse Ferguson in the second round to retain the title. This set up a rematch with Evander Holyfield.

In the rematch with Holyfield, Bowe looked overweight. He had entered training camp at a 266 lbs and weighed in at 246 lbs, eleven pounds heavier than in the first fight with Holyfield.

Bowe and Holyfield exchanged hard punches. Bowe ended up losing the belts to Holyfield by a majority decision. This fight was also known for a bizarre stunt in which parachutist James "Fan Man" Miller dropped into the open air arena, landing in the ropes by Bowe's corner. This surreal scene delayed the fight in the seventh round by nearly a half hour.

Bowe stated afterwards he thought the bout should have declared a 'technical draw' or a 'no contest' owing to the unfair delay.

After Title Loss
Riddick Bowe vs Larry Donald
In August 1994, Bowe fought two comeback fights. He faced the much smaller Buster Mathis Jr and, after struggling to connect with his bobbing and weaving target, hit him Mathis while he was down with what ruled an accidental blow, and the bout was ruled a 'No Contest' by referee Arthur Mercante, Sr. In December 1994, Bowe punched Larry Donald at a prefight press conference, later beating him by 12 round unanimous decision for the WBC Continental Americas Heavyweight title, giving the 16-0 heavyweight contender Donald his first loss.

WBO title And Holyfield Rubber Match
In March 1995, Bowe won the WBO version of the World heavyweight championship by knocking down England's Herbie Hide six times en route to scoring a sixth round knockout.

In June 1995, after a heated build up, Bowe defended the WBO heavyweight title against his arch rival in the amateurs, Jorge Luis González, At the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The prefight hype contained bizarre trash talk, which included Gonzalez declaring a desire to eat Bowe's heart and likening himself to a lion which making Bowe out to be a hyena.Bowe won by sixth round knockout over Gonzalez. He vacated the WBO championship soon after.

After the Gonzales fight, Bowe fought a rubbermatch with Evander Holyfield, their third and final meeting. Holyfield knocked Bowe down during the fight, but Bowe maintained his composure, and persevered to score an eighth round stoppage victory.

Bowe vs Golota I And II
After defeating Holyfield in the third bout of their trilogy, Bowe was matched against undefeated heavyweight contender Andrew Golota at the Madison Square Garden in an HBO Boxing event. Bowe's weight problem again resurfaced, as the favourite entered the ring at a career high of 252 lbs. Though ahead on points, Golota was penalized several times for low blows, and was finally disqualified in the seventh round after a volley of punches to Bowe's testicles. Seconds after Golota was disqualified, Bowe's entourage rushed the ring, attacked Golota with a two way radio (Golota traded punches with one of them, requiring 11 stitches to close the wound caused by the radio) and assaulted Golota's 74-year-old trainer Lou Duva, who collapsed in the ring and was taken out of The Garden on a stretcher).

The entourage began rioting, fighting with spectators, staff and policemen alike, resulting in a number of injuries before they were forced out of the arena in what evolved into a lengthy televised ring spectacle.

The fight made many sports shows, including SportsCenter, and there was a good amount of public interest in a rematch.

The rematch was on Pay Per View. Golota, after dropping Bowe in the second round, and being dropped himself later, was leading on the scorecards, only to be disqualified in the ninth round, once again for repeated shots to the testicles.

Despite not having another riot, this fight also proved to be controversial, with an unsuccessful protest filed by Golota's camp to try to overturn the fight's result.

This fight was featured on HBO's documentary Legendary Nights: The Tale of Bowe-Golota.

Joining The Marine Corps
After the Golota fights, Bowe retired from boxing and decided to join the United States Marine Corps Reserve. He said he made the decision both to make his mother proud and to rededicate himself to training, with the intention of returning to boxing shortly after. On his first day of recruit training, however, Bowe discussed leaving the Corps with Marine commanders, and quit after 3 days of training with his platoon at the recruit depot at Parris Island, South Carolina. The Marine Corps has been criticized for compromising their traditional recruiting measures and accommodating Bowe's request.

Legal Troubles
Bowe was convicted of the February 1998 kidnapping of his estranged wife Judy,and their five children. Thinking it would reconcile his marriage, Bowe went to his wife's Cornelius, North Carolina home and threatened her with a knife, handcuffs, duct tape and pepper spray. He forced her and their children into a vehicle and set out for his Fort Washington, Maryland home. During the kidnapping, Bowe stabbed his wife in the chest. Police captured Bowe in South Hill, Virginia, freeing his family. Bowe agreed to a plea bargain of guilty to 'interstate domestic violence', and was sentenced to 18 to 24 months in prison.

Despite the agreed sentence, on February 29, 2000, the judge sentenced Bowe to only 30 days, due to a claim of brain damage by Bowe's defence. This sentence, counter to the plea agreement, was later overturned. Bowe served 17 months in Federal prison. On February 8, 2001, Bowe was arrested in Long Island after a domestic dispute with his new wife. Bowe allegedly dragged his wife and left her with cuts on her knees and elbows.

Return To Boxing
On September 25, 2004, after seven and a half years away from boxing, Bowe returned with a second round knockout over Marcus Rhode. In a second comeback fight, in April 2005, an overweight Bowe narrowly defeated journeyman Billy Zumbrun by ten round split decision.

Bowe declared bankruptcy in 2005. On December 13, 2008, with the help of new manager Bob Bain, Bowe, 41, returned to the ring for the first time in over three and a half years on the undercard of the Wladimir Klitschko versus Hasim Rahman World heavyweight title bout in Mannheim, Germany and won an eight round unanimous decision over Gene Pukall.
His current boxing record stands at 43-1 with 33 knockouts.

In March 2013, Bowe announced his Muay Thai début, having trained under Kru Airr Phanthip and Kru Chan in Las Vegas.

He faced Levgen Golovin for the WPMF Super Heavyweight World Title in Pattaya, Thailand. On June 14, 2013, Bowe was knocked down five times from kicks to his leg. The championship match was called to a stop halfway through the second round.

In Popular Culture
In 1993, a video game entitled Riddick Bowe Boxing was released for various platforms. Also in 1993, Bowe appeared as himself in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, entitled "You Bet Your Life".

Bruce Samuel Seldon (born 30 January 1967) was the World Boxing Association Heavyweight champion from 1995 to 1996. It was after fighting Mike Tyson that Tupac Shakur was murdered in a drive-by shooting. Seldon lost his WBA Heavyweight Championship to Mike Tyson in the first round of that fight.

Amateur Career
Seldon compiled an amateur record of 20-4 and won the New Jersey Golden Gloves Super Heavyweight Championship.

Professional Career
Known as "The Atlantic City Express", Seldon began his career on October 4, 1988 with a first-round knockout of Joel McGraw and won his first 18 fights without a blemish. During his winning streak he defeated some notable boxers: Ezra Sellers (future World cruiserweight title challenger), Ossie Ocassio (former cruiserweight champion and heavyweight title challenger), David Bey (former World rated contender), and Jose Ribalta (former World title contender).

On April 18, 1991 future WBC World Heavyweight Champion Oliver McCall handed Bruce his first defeat. Seldon was clearly ahead on the scorecards entering the ninth round when he was unable to continue due to insufficient conditioning. The bout was stopped via the three knockdown rule when a visibly fatigued Seldon went down for the third time. In his next start Bruce was defeated by future undisputed World Heavyweight Champion Riddick Bowe.

Bruce went 13-1 over the next nearly four years, a streak which included a decision loss to former World Champion Tony Tubbs and a TKO victory over former World Champion Greg Page. On April 8, 1995 Bruce faced former World Champion Tony "TNT" Tucker for the vacant WBA Heavyweight Title. George Foreman was stripped of the title for fighting Axel Schulz instead of the organization's top conteder, Tucker. Seldon was the WBA's second ranked heavyweight contender at the time. Bruce stopped Tucker at the end of round seven to claim the vacant title. It was the first stoppage loss of Tucker's career (his two previous losses were decisions to Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis). In the lone defence his title Bruce stopped number 4 ranked contender Joe Hipp in the tenth round. Thirteen months after the Hipp bout Seldon lost his title to Tyson when he was knocked down twice - the first by (supposedly) a punch on top of the head, the second by a left hook to the jaw. Seldon beat the count, but wobbled badly on his legs before referee Richard Steele could clear him to continue.

There was major controversy after the fight, when slow motion replays clearly showed that the punch causing the first knockdown had missed Seldon, passing harmlessly over the top of his head. The second knockdown also looked suspicious - although the punch appeared to land this time, it did not appear to be a heavy blow. The fans in the arena chanted "Fix! Fix! Fix!", believing Seldon had taken a dive.

Bruce retired for 7½ years before returning to the ring on March 6, 2004 when he registered a third-round knockout over Otis Tisdale and one month later he dispatched Lenzie Morgan in two rounds. The third bout of his comeback was May 15, 2004, versus undefeated prospect Gerald Nobles. Bruce knocked Nobles down in round two and was up on the official scorecards after 8 rounds. Early in round 9 Bruce was thumbed in the eye and was unable to continue. Nobles was awarded a 9th-round TKO victory.

In his next contest, on October 28, 2005, an out of shape and overweight Seldon (263 lbs) was stopped in the second round by Tye Fields. On February 10, 2007 a rejuvenated and well conditioned Seldon (235 lbs) stopped journeyman Marcus Rhode, via TKO at 1:05 of the first round. On April 11, 2007 Bruce scored his second straight comeback victory by stopping Jay Sweetman in round 2. Seldon weighed in at 230 pounds, 5 less than the Rhode fight just one month earlier and over 30 pounds lighter than his last fight prior to this comeback.

Since that fight he fought Kevin Johnson but lost by TKO. He has since won two fights against Brad Gregory and Gabe Brown both of them who he beat by TKO.

He was defeated by Fres Oquendo on July 24, 2009 by knockout in the 9th round and which he took a knee in the 8th and was knocked down in the 9th and was counted out.

Bruce Seldon's current career record: 40 Wins, 8 Losses, 0 Draws (36 KO).

Robert Edward "Bobby" Czyz (born February 10, 1962). A New Jersey native of mostly Polish and Italian descent, he is both a former World light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion.

Czyz was born in Orange, New Jersey. He lived in Wanaque, New Jersey and attended Lakeland Regional High School.

Nicknamed "Matinee Idol", Czyz was a member of the United States amateur boxing team whose other members died in the LOT Polish Airlines plane crash in Poland in 1980. Because of an auto accident one week before the fatal trip, Czyz was not on the plane.

Professional Career
Czyz had a quick start to his professional boxing career in the early 1980s and he was soon in line for a shot against World middleweight champion Marvin Hagler. He had to start from scratch, however, after suffering a 10-round loss at the hands of veteran Mustafa Hamsho in November 1982.

Czyz went up in weight, put another string of wins together, and in September 1986, he finally found himself in a ring with an undefeated World champion, IBF light heavyweight champion Slobodan Kacar (Olympic Gold medallist of 1980). Czyz beat him in five rounds.

Czyz made three defences - a one-round defeat of David Sears, a see-saw second-round KO of Willie Edwards, and a fifth-round TKO of Jim McDonald - before taking on 'Prince' Charles Williams in October 1987. Czyz scored an early knockdown of Williams, yet the challenger not only stayed in the fight, but also hammered shut Czyz' left eye on way to scoring a TKO victory and thus seizing the title after eight rounds of boxing.

Czyz then lost a decision to Dennis Andries in May 1988, followed by a couple of victories, in turn followed by two cracks at the World title in 1989. Czyz, despite truly good efforts on his part in both challenges, lost both of them - a 12-round decision to Virgil Hill in North Dakota for the WBA version in March, and a 10th-round TKO loss to Williams in an IBF title rematch in June.

Czyz went on to stop then-undefeated Andrew Maynard in seven rounds (the second undefeated Gold medallist he KO'd) in June 1990, then jumped up to cruiserweight. He challenged Robert Daniels for Daniels' WBA World cruiserweight championship in March 1991, and won a unanimous decision. Two defences, against Bash Ali and Donny Lalonde, were made (both by unanimous decision) before Czyz vacated the title.

Life After Boxing
After being stopped by David Izegwire in August 1994, Czyz retired and became a television boxing analyst. With his new career, Czyz worked alongside Steve Albert and Ferdie Pacheco, covering fights in many locations Worldwide. In December 1994, he covered the first World title fight ever held in Ecuador as a member of Showtime's crew.

In 1996, he made a brief comeback as a competitive boxer in the heavyweight division, but lost by knockout in six rounds to Evander Holyfield and quickly retired again. The fight was somewhat controversial, as it appeared that Czyz's corner was coaching him to blame an injury to his back for his reason to quit on his stool. Czyz continued doing color commentary for Showtime, but was let go after pleading guilty to his fourth drunken-driving offense in six years after being caught speeding in Readington Township, New Jersey.

Czyz's case received a lot of attention as he was a multiple repeat DUI case, and was a driver behind the NJ Assembly revisiting its legislature. Czyz, who was a Raritan Township, New Jersey resident at the time, was given a six-month license suspension for each of his three drunken driving convictions in 1998, 1999 and 2000. It was discovered that he was sentenced improperly as a first-time offender after his fourth arrest, which occurred in February 2003 in Readington Township, where he was caught driving with a blood-alcohol level of 0.14 percent. The state limit at that time was 0.10 percent.

Bash Ali
Regional and Minor Titles Won
* December 03, 1980, USBA Cruiserweight Title
* June 19, 1985, NABF Cruiserweight Title
* September 23, 1988, Nigerian Heavyweight Title
* February 23, 1990, WBC International Cruiserweight Title
* July 31, 1993, African Heavyweight Title
* September 11, 2000, WBF Cruiserweight Title

(From NigeriaSports.com August 08, 2004:)

Bash Ali has retained his World Boxing Federation cruiser weight after his opponent Tony Booth from Britain threw in the towel after just three rounds in their scheduled 12 round encounter at the indoor sports hall of the National stadium, Lagos. Although the fight ended in the 3rd round when Tony Booth's corner threw in the towel, they were later to explain that Tony had slipped in his hotel bathroom and injured his ankle on the morning of the fight, but that he had to go out and fight in order not to let the teeming boxing fans down.

And the popular belief that the challenger was an unknown boxer and as such a push over, was however, easily wiped out in the first round as he stood and fought toe to toe with the Bash Ali and landing some solid punches sending packed hall cheering for more.

(From Vanguardngr.com October 22, 2005:)

You started as a wrestler. How did you get into boxing?

Boxing was a total coincidence. I was a wrestler when I left Nigeria. In fact, I left on a wrestling scholarship. Mildred Burke Professional School of Wrestling in the USA gave me a scholarship and I left for America in September 1974. But when I got to USA, I saw the wrestlers, all 6feet 9inches, 400pounds, and here I was, 160pounds. I knew they would simply kill me. So, I went to school and was looking for work one day when I saw a poster of Muhammad Ali on the wall and I went in and saw two guys in boxing bout. So, I told the supervisor I would like to spar with one of them, and he told me to come the following day.

I'd seen Muhammad Ali, Ken Norton, George Foreman and Joe Frazier on TV. I was excited. But it was not as easy; the first guy I fought nearly killed me.

My first pro fight netted me just $400, and I nearly cried because I had promised my mother I was going to send her money to buy a car and do other things! The guy who fought in the main event netted close to $300,000. So, I decided to take up the sport full-time and also to work hard and be very good at it.