Charlie Magri vs Jose Torres II Also Featuring The Fighting Feeney Brothers From Hartlepool Along With Frank Bruno Official Flyer

Charlie Magri vs Jose Torres II Also Featuring The Fighting Feeney Brothers From Hartlepool Along With Frank Bruno Official Flyer

Charlie Magri vs Jose Torres II also featuring the fighting Feeney brothers from Hartlepool, George Feeney vs Frankie Moultrie and John Feeney vs Vernon Penprase along with Frank Bruno vs George Butzbach official flyer, 23rd November 1982, Wembley Arena, Wembley, London. Measuring 11 3/4" x 8 1/4".

Condition excellent (2 light horizontal folds)

Magri W Pts over 10 rounds

John Feeney W Pts over 8 rounds

Bruno W TKO 1 (Barry Funches was replaced as the original opponent)

George Feeney (cancelled)

Price: £20

Charlie Magri (born 20 July 1956 in Tunis, Tunisia) is a former English flyweight. He is from a Maltese family that settled in Stepney, London where he grew up. During his professional career he held the British, European and WBC World flyweight titles.

Amateur Career
After a junior career with Millwall F.C., Magri as an amateur boxed for Arbour Youth youth club, and gained the following ABA titles:

* ABA Youth Champion (Class A) - 1972
* ABA Youth Champion (Class B) - 1973
* ABA Light-flyweight Champion (48kg) - 1974
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1975
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1976
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1977

He also boxed for Great Britain in the 1976 Summer Olympics losing in the third round to Ian Clyde of Canada.

Professional Career
Magri was 5 ft 3 in tall and had an exciting, aggressive style, being a two-handed puncher who did not care much for defence. He was managed by Terry Lawless.

He had his first professional fight in October 1977, at the age of twenty-one. He knocked out Neil McLaughlin in the second round at the Royal Albert Hall.

In only his third fight he gained the vacant British flyweight title after his fight with Dave Smith was stopped in the seventh round.

In his twelfth fight, in May 1979, having won the previous eleven, he won on points against Franco Udella to take the European flyweight title. He won on points over twelve rounds at the Empire Pool, Wembley.

In December 1979, he defended his European title against Manuel Carrasco, of Spain, winning on points. In June 1980, he defended it again, this time against Giovanni Camputaro of Italy, winning on a technical knockout in the third.

In February 1981, he defended his European title against Spaniard, Enrique Rodriguez Cal, knocking him out in the second round. In September he fought a re-match with Cal in Aviles, Spain, and again knocked him out in the second.

World Title
In March 1983, he fought Eleoncio Mercedes, of the Dominican Republic, for the WBC World flyweight title. The fight was at the Empire Pool, Wembley and Magri won the title when the fight was stopped in the seventh on cuts.

In September 1983, he defended his World title against Frank Cedeno, of the Philippines. The fight was at the Empire Pool, and Magri lost his title when the referee stopped the fight in the sixth, after Magri had been put down three times.

Rest Of Career
In his next fight, in August 1984, Magri fought for the vacant European flyweight title that he had previously relinquished. He fought Italian, Franco Cherchi in Cagliari, Italy. Magri won in the first round when a clash of heads left the Italian so badly cut that the referee had to stop the fight.

In his next fight, in February 1985, he fought for the WBC World flyweight title again. Since Magri had lost it, it had changed hands several times and was now held by Sot Chitalada of Thailand. The fight was held at the Alexandra Palace, London and Chitalada won on a technical knockout at the start of the fifth, after Magri’s corner retired him.

In October 1985, Magri fought a re-match against Franco Cherchi, in Alessandria, Italy, winning by a knockout in the second round.

In May 1986, Magri had his last fight, defending his European title against Duke McKenzie of Croydon. Magri had relinquished his British flyweight title in August 1981, and McKenzie was now the holder. The fight was stopped in the fifth round when Magri was knocked down and his manager, Terry Lawless threw in the towel when Magri beat the count.

Life After Boxing
Magri was the manager for super-featherweight boxer, Dean Pithie. Magri later owned the Victoria pub in Bow, East London.

Franklin Roy Bruno (born 16 November 1961) Former WBC Heavyweight champion in 1995. Altogether, he won 40 of his 45 contests. Like Henry Cooper before him, Bruno has remained a popular celebrity with the British public since his ring career ended, and still appears regularly in pantomime.

Boxing Career
Bruno became a professional boxer in 1980, quickly racking up a streak of twenty-one consecutive wins by knockout. This streak caught the attention of many international boxing magazines, such as Ring Magazine, KO Magazine, Boxing Illustrated, The Ring En Espanol and many others. In March 1984, however, future World Heavyweight champion, American James 'Bonecrusher' Smith, then a boxing journeyman, halted that streak when he defeated Bruno by knockout in the tenth and final round of their bout, with Bruno leading on all three judges' cards. This would not be the last time Bruno went on to lose a contest he had been clearly winning and would have emerged victorious from had he survived until the final bell.

Bruno got back into title contention with wins over the likes of former WBA champion Gerrie Coetzee (by knockout in round one), and, in July 1986, he challenged Tim Witherspoon for the WBA World Heavyweight championship. After once again leading on the cards for most of the fight, he ran out of steam and was defeated by knockout, in round eleven. A comment often made was that Bruno, a fine physical specimen, had a bodybuilder's musculature rather than a boxer's, and carrying the extra weight of so much muscle sapped his energy and stamina over a long contest. The contrast between Bruno and the seemingly lard-laden Witherspoon was particularly marked, but the difference was that Witherspoon worked when he had to, and did enough over the course of the fight, whereas Bruno lacked the nous and the killer-instinct to press on when he had the initiative.

In 1989, Bruno challenged Mike Tyson for the unified World Heavyweight title. After being shaken in the opening minute, Bruno finished the first round by rocking Tyson with a left hook. However, Tyson recovered and beat Bruno when the referee stopped the contest in round five with the British boxer taking heavy punishment on the ropes.

Bruno kept winning fights, helping him to retain his spot as one of the World's leading Heavyweights. In 1993 he had a third World title chance against young Lennox Lewis, who was making the second defence of the belt (his first of three championship reigns). The Lennox Lewis vs. Frank Bruno fight was the first time that two British-born boxers had fought for the World heavyweight title. Lewis beat Bruno on a stoppage in round seven, Bruno again failing to take his title chance after leading the contest on points up until what proved the final round.

On 24 September 1994, Oliver McCall beat Lewis with a shock second round knockout victory at Wembley Arena, and, after outpointing Larry Holmes, he came to England to defend the WBC title against Bruno. On 2 September 1995, Bruno finally became World champion by outpointing McCall over twelve rounds. McCall was an emotional mess, and cried on his way into the ring. Bruno did not last long as champion: his first defence was a rematch with Tyson.

Tyson beat Bruno on a stoppage in round three, in what turned out to be Bruno's last bout as a professional.

Bruno's publicist throughout most of his career was sports historian Norman Giller, who wrote three books in harness with Frank: Know What I mean, Eye of the Tiger and From Zero to Hero His manager for all but his last five fights was Terry Lawless, who signed him as a professional shortly after he had become ABA heavyweight champion at the age of eighteen.

Outside Boxing
Bruno grew up with five siblings in a terraced house in south London, where his parents had settled after moving to England from the Caribbean. In 1990, he married his partner Laura at a small church in Hornchurch, an area of Greater London near the border with Essex. They had three children. However, their relationship deteriorated, and they divorced in 2001.

Bruno has remained a popular figure with the British public. His image was enhanced by his relationship with the BBC boxing commentator Harry Carpenter, his appearances on the early Comic Relief programmes in the 1980s and his frequent appearances thereafter on television and on stage (in pantomime).

In December 2005, Bruno announced that he was to become a father for the fourth time since finding new romance with old friend Yvonne Clydesdale. The pair, who first met five years ago at a health resort, began dating months after bumping into each other at a wine bar near his home. Yvonne gave birth to baby Freya on 10 May 2006.

In 1995, the year of his World championship, he released a cover version of "Eye of the Tiger", the theme song of the movie Rocky III. It reached #28 in the UK charts.

In January 2001, Bruno announced that he wanted to stand as the Conservative candidate in the traditionally safe Tory seat of Brentwood and Ongar against the independent Member of Parliament, Martin Bell. His proposed slogan was "Don't be a plank, vote for Frank!" However, this idea was quickly dismissed by Conservative Central Office.

On 15th August 2009 he appeard on the weakest link beating Duke Mckenzie in the final for £12,800

On 22 September 2003, Bruno was taken from his home near Brentwood in Essex by medical staff assisted by police officers, under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983.

He was taken to Goodmayes Hospital in Ilford, where he underwent psychological and psychiatric tests. He had been suffering from depression for several months beforehand.

He was later diagnosed as having bipolar disorder. The psychologist Professor Cary Cooper expressed the opinion that the end of Bruno's boxing career, the breakdown of his marriage, and the suicide of his former trainer George Francis in 2002 all contributed to his condition. On 9 October 2005 he admitted that his cocaine use, which began in 2000, contributed to his mental health problems. Media coverage of Bruno's problems raised controversy, the principal accusations were gross intrusion and insensitivity.

Particular criticism was aimed at The Sun, whose headline in the first editions the next day read "Bonkers Bruno Locked Up". Second editions retracted the headline and attempted to portray a more sympathetic attitude towards Bruno and mental health in general. As an attempt at atonement, the paper established a charity fund for the victims of mental illness, although some mental health charities condemned The Sun's latter action that day as being grossly cynical in the light of the former. On 24 February 2008 Frank Bruno offered his support to former footballer Paul Gascoigne, who on 21 February had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act Bruno also spoke on his own personal experiences in the mental heath system at a conference run by Hari Sewell, on the 22nd June 2009.

On 10 October 2006, Bruno and his partner Yvonne Clydesdale were jointly awarded £50,000 damages for libel against The People newspaper and publishers MGN in respect of false claims made about the pair's relationship.

By 2005 Bruno was able to appear on BBC Radio as a guest expert at a boxing match, as well as appearing on television again. Bruno now regularly makes personal appearances and he also sells autographed items of memorabilia.

Frank now lives with one of his sons in the village of Little Billington, on the outskirts of the town of Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire.

Movie Appearances
Bruno has a cameo appearance in Cass, the subject of which is a friend of Frank Bruno's who was a football hooligan. He is standing next to the pub doors in the last few minutes of the movie. His only prior movie appearance would have been as the bus driver in Spice World, but he walked out due to a dispute with the producers.

John Feeney
Birthdate: 15-05-1958
Division: bantamweight
Height: 5′ 6″ / 168cm
Country: United Kingdom
Residence: Hartlepool, County Durham, United Kingdom
Birth place: Hartlepool, County Durham, United Kingdom

Won: 35 (KO 12) + lost 13 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 48
Rounds boxed: 398 KO% 25

George Feeney
Birthdate: 09-02-1957
Division: lightweight
Height: 5′ 6½″ / 169cm
Country: United Kingdom
Residence: Hartlepool, County Durham, United Kingdom
Birth place: Hartlepool, County Durham, United Kingdom

Won: 19 (KO 8) + lost 10 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 29
Rounds boxed: 235 KO% 27.59