Sot Chitalada vs Charlie Magri WBC Flyweight World Title Official Onsite Programme Also Featuring Glenn McCrory

Sot Chitalada vs Charlie Magri WBC Flyweight World Title Official Onsite Programme Also Featuring Glenn McCrory

Sot Chitalada vs Charlie Magri WBC flyweight World title official on-site 14 page programme also featuring Glenn McCrory vs Alex Willamson billed, "All Or Nothing", 20th February 1985, Alexandra Palace, Wood Green, London.

Condition very good (slight marking to top right front cover corner)

Chitalada W TKO 5
* Corner retirement

McCrory W Pts over 8 rounds

Price: £20

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Sot Chitalada (born 5 May 1962) in Chonburi, Thailand, was formerly twice WBC Flyweight Champion.

Chitalada built a reputation as a Muay Thai champion in Thailand before making the transition to professional boxing. After winning his first four professional fights, he challenged WBC Light flyweight Champion Jung Koo Chang on 31 March 1984, losing a twelve-round decision.

Undaunted by the Chang loss, he won two more fights and a little over six months later shocked WBC Flyweight Champion Gabriel Bernal, winning the World championship in his home country at Bangkok.

Chitalada is perhaps best-remembered for his fights with Bernal. The two met again twice in Bangkok. On 22 June 1985, Bernal fought Chitalada to a twelve-round draw, Chitalada keeping the title. Bernal made another attempt eighteen months later, but on 10 December 1986 he lost another twelve-round decision to Chitalada. This was Bernal's final attempt at the Flyweight title.

Chitalada brought stability to the WBC Flyweight title, the six title holders prior to Bernal all losing the belt in their first defences, and Bernal losing his second defence. Following the first Bernal fight, Chitalada made six title defences (and won several non-title fights). During this run he defeated former World champions Charlie Magri and Freddy Castillo. He lost the title on 24 July 1988, travelling to South Korea and losing a twelve-round decision to Yong Kang Kim.

After winning three more fights, Chitalada lured Kim for a rematch in his home country of Thailand. This time, it was Chitalada who came out on top, winning a twelve-round decision.

Chitalada made four more title defences after he regained the title. In his third defence, he made his first and only fight in the Western Hemisphere, defeating Richard Clarke by an eleventh-round knockout in Kingston, Jamaica, thus retaining his title.

For his fourth defence, he travelled to Seoul to avenge the only other loss in his career, to Jung Koo Chang.

Following the Chang fight, on 15 February 1991 Chitalada defended his title against fellow-countryman Muangchai Kittikasem. This fight ended Chitalada's reign as he suffered his first knockout, Kittikasem stopping him in Round 6 to take the title. Chitalada won two more fights before challenging Kittikasem to a rematch, but the result was the same, this time it ended in a ninth-round stoppage. That fight would be the last of Chitalada's career, he retired and never attempted a comeback.

From 2006 to 2007, Chitalada taught Muay Thai at the Muay Thai Institute of Kunponli in Salt Lake City, Utah. He has since moved to teach martial arts in California.

Charlie Magri (born 20 July 1956 in Tunis, Tunisia) is a former English flyweight World champion. He is from a Maltese family that settled in Stepney, London where he grew up. During his professional career he held the WBC, European, and British flyweight titles.

Amateur Career
After a junior career with Millwall F.C., Magri as an amateur boxed for Arbour Youth youth club, and gained the following ABA titles:

* ABA Youth Champion (Class A) - 1972
* ABA Youth Champion (Class B) - 1973
* ABA Light-flyweight Champion (48kg) - 1974
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1975
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1976
* ABA Flyweight Champion (51kg) - 1977
* He also boxed for Great Britain in the 1976 Summer Olympics losing in the third round to Ian Clyde of Canada.

Professional Career
Magri was 5 ft 3 in tall and had an exciting, aggressive style, being a two-handed puncher who did not care much for defence. He was managed by Terry Lawless.

He had his first professional fight in October 1977, at the age of twenty-one. He knocked out Neil McLaughlin in the second round at the Royal Albert Hall.

In only his third fight he gained the vacant British flyweight title after his fight with Dave Smith was stopped in the seventh round.

In his twelfth fight, in May 1979, having won the previous eleven, he won on points against Franco Udella to take the European flyweight title. He won on points over twelve rounds at the Empire Pool, Wembley.

In December 1979, he defended his European title against Manuel Carrasco, of Spain, winning on points. In June 1980, he defended it again, this time against Giovanni Camputaro of Italy, winning on a technical knockout in the third.

In February 1981, he defended his European title against Spaniard, Enrique Rodriguez Cal, knocking him out in the second round. In September he fought a re-match with Cal in Aviles, Spain, and again knocked him out in the second.

World Title
In March 1983, he fought Eleoncio Mercedes, of the Dominican Republic, for the WBC and The Ring flyweight titles. The fight was at the Empire Pool, Wembley and Magri won the titles when the fight was stopped in the seventh on cuts.

In September 1983, he defended his World titles against Frank Cedeno, of the Philippines. The fight was at the Empire Pool, and Magri lost his titles when the referee stopped the fight in the sixth, after Magri had been put down three times.

Rest Of Career
In his next fight, in August 1984, Magri fought for the vacant European flyweight title that he had previously relinquished. He fought Italian, Franco Cherchi in Cagliari, Italy. Magri won in the first round when a clash of heads left the Italian so badly cut that the referee had to stop the fight.

In his next fight, in February 1985, he fought for the WBC flyweight title again. Since Magri had lost it, it had changed hands several times and was now held by Sot Chitalada of Thailand. The fight was held at the Alexandra Palace, London and Chitalada won on a technical knockout at the start of the fifth, after Magri’s corner retired him.

In October 1985, Magri fought a re-match against Franco Cherchi, in Alessandria, Italy, winning by a knockout in the second round.

In May 1986, Magri had his last fight, defending his European title against Duke McKenzie of Croydon. Magri had relinquished his British flyweight title in August 1981, and McKenzie was now the holder. The fight was stopped in the fifth round when Magri was knocked down and his manager, Terry Lawless threw in the towel when Magri beat the count.

After Boxing
Magri was the manager for super-featherweight boxer, Dean Pithie. Magri later owned the Victoria pub in Bow, East London.

Glenn McCrory (born September 23, 1964 in Annfield Plain, County Durham, England) who held the IBF version of the cruiserweight World championship. He has worked as a Sky commentator and pundit since hanging up the gloves.

Early Professional Career
McCrory, 37, made his professional debut in February 1984 aged 20 scoring a 1st round knock out against Barry Ellis.

Over the next 15 months he fought a further 12 times winning on each occasion before suffering his first defeat against John Westgarth in September 1985. The defeat was to be the first in a series of losses for McCrory as he went on to lose a further four fights out of his next five. In November 1986 this run came to an end when a visit to Louisville, Kentucky saw him get back to winning ways against the inexperienced Joe Adams.

British And Commonwealth Champion
The Adams win provided the springboard for a run of form which would take him first to the Commonwealth cruiserweight title and then to the British. Four straight victories set him up for a shot at Zambian Chisanda Mutti the reigning Commonwealth champion in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear on 4 September 1987, the fight went the distance with McCrory picking up a points win. In January 1988 he defended his title for the first time and picked up the British belt with a win over Tee Jay in Wandsworth.

A further defence of both titles occurred in April 1988 when he returned to Gateshead to defeat challenger Lou Gent.

World Champion
Three more wins over journeymen opponents followed the Gent victory before in June 1989 McCrory challenged Patrick Lumumba for the vacant IBF cruiserweight title, winning the belt via a unanimous points decision. He made one defence of the belt against Siza Makathini in October 1989 before losing it to American Jeff Lampkin in March 1990.

Further Challenges
Following the Lampkin defeat McCrory moved up to heavyweight and in September 1991 lost in a challenge to future World champion Lennox Lewis failing in his bid to win Lewis's British and European titles. Two victories and a draw against journeymen followed the Lewis defeat before a trip to Moscow in July 1993 resulted in an unsuccessful attempt to win back his IBF belt, losing over 12 rounds to reigning champion Alfred Cole. The fight was to prove his last as a professional as McCrory retired from the sport with a record of won 30, lost 8, drawn 1. Since retirement, McCrory has become a respected television commentator, employed by Sky Television and best loved as the long time sidekick of Ian Darke.

Newbiggin Hall Gym
Following his retirement from the sport, McCrory gained a professional trainers license and opened a gym in the Newbiggin area. Wider ambitions for the gym include McCrory's wish for it to be used as a possible training camp for the Team GB boxers before the next Olympics in 2012.