Museum Piece Of British Boxing History Original Family Photograph SIGNED By The Fighting Turpin Brothers

Museum Piece Of British Boxing History Original Family Photograph SIGNED By The Fighting Turpin Brothers

Museum piece of British boxing history, original family photograph by J.E. Duggins, The Grove Studio, Leamington Spa (stamped on reverse) SIGNED by the fighting Turpin brother's Jackie, Dick and Randolph.

The black & white photo measures 4 1/2" x 6" and is signed in fountain pen by the Turpin brother's and have stood the test of time still very clear with great clarity. The photo due to ageing processes contains foxing with some creasing and wear & tear.

Never before have ChampsUK had the privilege to offer such a historical artefact containing the three autographs of Leamington Spa's famous fighting Turpin brother's.

Professionally mounted & magnificently displayed within bespoke periodic wood frame along with decorative detailed fight history altogether presenting a stunning museum collectable. Measuring 16" x 23".

Price: £1050

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Turpin Brother's Off To America (1951)

Randolph Adolphus ('Randy') Turpin (7 June 1928 – 17 May 1966) known as the Leamington Larruper, and was considered by some to be Europe's best middleweight boxer of the 1940's and 1950's.

Born in Leamington Spa, to a black father who had emigrated from Guyana and a white British mother, he started like his brother Dick to be trained in the art of boxing at Leamington Boys' Club.

Turpin turned professional in London in 1946, soon after his 18th birthday. Trained by his elder brother Dick, who himself was a successful middleweight, Randolph knocked out Gordon Griffiths in his first bout. Turpin put together a string of 16 wins in a row, all over the United Kingdom, until drawing with Mark Hart over six rounds in his last bout of 1947.

Three wins later, he found himself facing Albert Finch who inflicted on Turpin his first defeat, an 8-round-decision loss. After one more win he lost again, knocked out in 5 rounds by Jean Stock in London.

Turpin was determined not to lose again after the Stock defeat, and put together another string of wins which reached 12 (including a 4-round disqualification win against William Poli).

Rematched with Finch, this time with the British middleweight title on the line, Turpin avenged his first loss and won his first championship by knocking out Finch in five rounds on 17 October 1950 at Harringay Arena.

Three more wins followed, including a disqualification win in 8 rounds against important challenger Tommy Yarosz. He then met European middleweight champion Luc Van Dam in London, whom he knocked out in the first round to seize the European championship.

Four wins followed after that, including a rematch with Stock, against whom he avenged his second defeat, knocking him out in 5 rounds. Then World middleweight champion Sugar Ray Robinson travelled to London and, on 10 July 1951, risked his title against Turpin, who won the World title by beating Robinson on a 15-round decision.

Turpin became an instant national hero. His win over Robinson gave him such celebrity that even many people who were not boxing fans knew who he was. When he signed for a rematch with Robinson and chose Gwrych Castle near Abergele in North Wales to train, the castle was constantly hounded by fans and tourists.

His days as a World champion didn't last long, however, and when he made his first trip outside his homeland for a fight, he lost his crown to Robinson by a tenth-round TKO with eight seconds left in the round at the Polo Grounds in New York on 12 September 1951.

This turned out to be the beginning of Turpin's problems, because he would begin to miss the sweet life that being a World boxing champion gave him.

He tried to regain his former status and, three fights later, beat Don Cockell in 11 rounds by a knockout to conquer the British Commonwealth light-heavyweight title.

Turpin went back down in weight, and beat Georges Angelo to regain his British middleweight title, and put on another string of wins, leading to his challenge of Bobo Olson for the World middleweight title that Robinson had left vacant after retiring.

His second trip to New York turned into another 15-round defeat, this time at the hands of Olson.

In 1954, he went to Rome where he lost his European middleweight title by a knockout in the first round to Tiberio Mitri.

He kept trying mightily as he could to regain his former condition as a World champion and even retained his British middleweight title a few times in his next ten fights, but he lost two of them to obscure opponents.

After that, he managed another winning streak against some obscure boxers, but by 1958 it was clear his best days in boxing were long over. He lost that year to Yolande Pompey, another future World title challenger, by a second-round knockout in Birmingham, and retired in 1959.

In 1962, he began another comeback which lasted for only two fights, both of which he won, the last being held in Malta.

He retired with a record of 66 wins, 8 losses and 1 draw. Of his 66 wins, 48 came by knockout.

By now he was so short of money that he resorted to professional wrestling. His name meant that he drew moderate crowds for a short time but in the end this venture was not a success because he was a fighter not a showman.

Retirement And Suicide
According to articles, reports and a biography, Turpin couldn't deal with the obscurity resulting from the loss of his crown. In Llandudno in Wales, he bought a public house on the Great Orme, which today retains several genuine artefacts from his career. Between 1952 and 1961, he was the registered licensee.

After being declared bankrupt, Turpin committed suicide by shooting himself in 1966. It is reported that, on the same day, he tried to kill his daughter.

Turpin was inducted as a member of the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in Canastota, New York in 2001. There is a statue of him in Market Square, Warwick.

Dick Turpin, (26 November 1920 – 7 July 1990) was an English middleweight. He was British and Commonwealth middleweight champion, reputedly being the first black fighter to win a British boxing title. He was elder brother and trainer of the more famous Randolph Turpin, who became World middleweight champion after beating Sugar Ray Robinson in 1951.

Dick was the son of Lionel Turpin who had been born in British Guyana and his wife, Beatrice Elizabeth Whitehouse. He had two brothers Jack, who was a featherweight and Randolph, a middleweight.

Professional Career
Turpin fought his first professional bout in March 1939 against Jimmy Griffiths, in Coventry. He lost on points over ten rounds.

He went on to build up a domestic record of 86 fights with 68 wins, 12 losses, 5 draws and one no-contest, before his first title fight. This was for the Commonwealth middleweight title, in May 1948, and was against Richard Bos Murphy of New Zealand. Turpin won the fight, at Coventry, by a knockout in the first round to become Commonwealth champion.

In his next bout, in 28 June 1948, Turpin fought Vince Hawkins for his British middleweight title. The fight was held at Villa Park, Birmingham and Turpin won on points over fifteen rounds. He now held both the British and Commonwealth middleweight titles.

During late 1948 and early 1949, Turpin fought European boxers, drawing and then losing on points against Tiberio Mitri, of Italy, then being knocked out in seven rounds in a non-title fight against the then World middleweight champion, Marcel Cerdan, of France. He then won by a disqualification against another Frenchman, Robert Charron.

In June 1949, he defended his British and Commonwealth titles against Albert Finch, winning on points after fifteen rounds.

In September 1949, he defended his Commonwealth title against Australian, Dave Sands. The fight was at Harringay Arena, and Turpin was knocked out in the first round, and so only retained his British title.

Turpin then won his next four fights, losing the fifth, on points to the American, Baby Day, before defending his British title against Albert Finch, whom he had beaten in his previous defence. The fight was held in April 1950, in Nottingham and Finch won on points after fifteen rounds.

Having lost both his titles, Turpin had only two more fights, against the Belgian, Cyrille Delannoit, in Brussels, losing on a technical knockout in the sixth, and finally against his old rival Albert Finch, losing on a technical knockout in the eighth. This last fight was in July 1950.

Turpin was the trainer of his more successful and famous brother Randolph, who beat Sugar Ray Robinson to take the World middleweight title in 1951.

Jackie Turpin was the brother of fellow boxers Randy Turpin and Dick Turpin, and the father of Jackie Turpin Jr.. He trained his sons as amateurs and was also the trainer of Danny McAlinden when he won the British heavyweight title.

Jackie Turpin – a member of one of the country’s most famous boxing families – has died at the age of 84.

Jackie was one third of Warwickshire’s Turpin brother's, along with Dick and Randolph.

Jackie, a featherweight, had a 10-year professional boxing career and was the last surviving brother.

His son, John, daughter Georgina and granddaughter Lydia were at his bedside when he passed away last Thursday.

He had suffered with vascular dementia for 10 years.

Jackie, formerly of Sharpe Close, Warwick had been cared for at the Sebright nursing home in Leam Terrace, Leamington for the past two years.

Lydia Turpin, 39, of Warwick, said: “I lived with grandad until I was 18 and he was the only father figure I have known.

“He was a wonderful man with a wicked sense of humour to the point where he would actually drive the children crazy – in a funny way.

“He had a big heart and would do anything for anybody.

‘‘He would always look out for other people before he would look out for himself.

“The carers at the home were very good to him and they took extremely good care of him.”

Jackie, who was born John Matthew, began boxing in the Royal Navy.

He only had one amateur fight but his professional career started in 1941 and finished in 1951.

He was the first British boxer to win in America after the war.

Jackie’s brother Randolph became World middleweight champion, and has a statue dedicated to him in Warwick town centre.

Jackie’s son, Jackie Jnr and nephew Randolph Jnr also followed them into the sport.

In 2005, Jackie released his autobiography, Battling Jack: You Gotta Fight Back, which charts his life as one of Britain’s busiest featherweights.

Jackie ran the Warwick Racing Boxing Club with his wife, Betty for several years and continued training there until he was 80-years-old.

Ms Turpin added: “Grandad still carried on training right to the end. He really looked after himself and kept himself very fit until his 70s.

‘‘He would play 18 holes of golf, six days a week.

“He really fought hard until the end and I guess the title of his book says it all. He really did battle.”

Jack’s wife of 52 years, Betty, died in 1999 after losing her fight with throat cancer.

Jackie leaves two children, three grandchildren and three great grandchildren. His funeral will take place on April 19 from 1.15pm at St Mary’s Church in Old Square, Warwick.