Dave Charnley vs Don Jordan And Peter Waterman vs Emilio Marconi Also Featuring Terry Downes 1958 Official Onsite Poster

Dave Charnley vs Don Jordan And Peter Waterman vs Emilio Marconi Also Featuring Terry Downes 1958 Official Onsite Poster

Dave Charnley vs Don Jordan and Peter Waterman vs Emilio Marconi European welterweight title official on-site poster, 28th January 1958, Harringay Arena, Harringay, London.

Also featuring:-
Terry Downes vs Freddie Cross
Phil Edwards (replaced Dennis Booty) vs Lew Lazar

Condition very good

The poster contains bottom edge staining, vertical crease & right edge tear & is displayed in period wood frame measuring 13 1/4" x 21" which once hung on the vault room walls of a boxing themed Manchester public house.

Price: £235

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Dave Charnley (born October 10, 1935 in Dartford, England) considered to be one of the greatest British fighters in his weight class. Known as The Dartford Destroyer the left-handed Charnley had a 10 year career lasting from 1954 to 1964.

He won bronze in the 1954 Commonwealth Games in Vancouver, Canada and went on to become:
• Undefeated British Lightweight Champion (1957-63)
• Commonwealth Lightweight Champion (1959-62) and
• European Lightweight Boxing Champion (1960-61)

World Champion Title Fights
Charnley made two unsuccessful World title challenges against his arch-rival Joe 'Old Bones' Brown. He was stopped by Brown on a cut eye in Houston, Texas, in 1959 and was narrowly out-pointed in a controversial 15 round bout in London on 18 April 1961. Ring Magazine called this second bout "Fight of the Year." Many say Charnley should have won.

The decision is still contested by Charnley and most British writers. He eventually defeated Brown in six rounds in a non-title fight in Manchester on 25 February 1963.

Early Life And Career
Before he became a boxer, Charnley worked at Vickers Engineering Crayford as a boiler maker. He began pro-boxing on 19 October 1954 and his strong punching won him the 1954 A.B.A. Featherweight championship. He turned professional the same year.

He became British Lightweight Champion at 21 by out pointing Joe Lucy, another south paw, on the 9 April 1957, but in his first attempt later that year to win the Empire title on the 9 July he was beaten on points by the brilliant South African, Willie Towel. In 1958 he met future World champion, Puerto Rican Carlos Ortiz at Harringay Arena where he lost on a 10 round decision.

In a return match against Willie Towel on the 12 May 1959, Dave Charnley punched with such authority that the championship changed hands in the 10th round, when Dave won by a knockout. Dave challenged for the World Title at Houston, Texas on 2 December 1959, against Joe Brown but was forced to retire in the fifth round with a badly damaged eye. He fought Brown again, this time in London on the 18 April 1961, and lost a bitterly contested duel that many fans thought he had won. By way of consolation Dave knocked out Brown in six rounds in a third meeting, but only after the American had lost his World title.

Before his second bout with Brown, Dave added the European Lightweight Title to his British and Empire Titles, when he met Mario Vecchiatto of Italy on the 29 March 1960. He forced Vecchiatto to retire in the 10th round.

On 20 November 1961 Dave Charnley met challenger David "Darkie" Hughes of Wales for his third title and stopped the Welshman in 40 seconds, including the count, a record win in the British Lightweight class.

In 1962 Dave went to Jamaica, losing his Empire title on a close point verdict to Bunny Grant, but he won his Lonsdale Belt outright by defeating Maurice Cullen in Manchester on the 20 May 1963. That year he also forfeited his European title.

As there were no worthy challengers in the Lightweight division, to continue boxing, it was necessary for Dave to move up to the Welterweight division. He was then game enough to challenge the World Champion, Emile Griffith, but took a bad beating and the fight was stopped in round eight.

Dave retired from the ring in 1964 as unbeaten British Lightweight Champion.

Aggressive Fighting Style
Charnley had a powerful build and large forearms and was often compared to the "Toy Bulldog" Mickey Walker, but he also had good tools. He had double and triple hooks and was a true scrapper with plenty of bottle. His trademark was an aggressive attacking style. Inside the ring he was a furious brawler who gave and took brutal punishment. He fought everyone, even much heavier men and always held his own.

Only Joe Brown stopped him on cuts and until his last fight, only welterweight great Emile Griffiths stopped him from going the distance. Charnley ended his career fighting welterweights and was a really tough opponent for anyone.

After The Ring
When he retired from boxing, Charnley took a completely different direction in his life and for a few years opened and operated hair salons, which became quite profitable for him.

He also moved into building and property refurbishments in which he is still involved. His various business interests have seen him enter old age a very wealthy man.

Don Jordan (June 22, 1934 – February 13, 1997) born in Los Angeles, California was the Welterweight Champion of the World from 1958 to 1960. His nickname was ‘Geronimo’.

Born 22 June 1934 in Los Angeles, Jordan’s brief spell as an amateur shows that he began boxing as a Middleweight and unusually worked his way down to welterweight as a professional. His amateur career spanned just fifteen contests, of which he lost only one.

Jordan fought professionally for the first time in April, 1953. Standing 5 feet 9 inches and typically weighing around 147 lbs, Jordan was well-proportioned and quickly showed himself to be an effective performer, winning nine in a row before dropping a decision in March 1954, to a fighter he had out-pointed just two months previously. He beat Art Ramponi to pick up the California State welterweight title in October of that year and opened his 1955 campaign with a victory over former World Lightweight Champion Lauro Salas. From that point on, Jordan would be mixing it with the best.

Jordan’s progress over the next three years including two notable victories over Gaspar Ortega were rewarded when he challenged Virgil Akins for the World Welterweight Championship on 5 December 1958, winning by unanimous decision. Akins who disputed the decision would suffer an identical reverse when he met Jordan in a championship return five months later. That was the first of Jordan’s two successful title defences (the second was against Denny Moyer on 10 July 1959), before losing the title to Benny Paret, eighteen months after being crowned.

Once he lost his title, Jordan also seemed to lose his way. The last years of his career saw him record more defeats than victories and he was effectively, if ignominiously ‘retired’ by the man refereeing his October 1962 contest with Battling Torres. When Jordan refused to get up after a knockdown in the Seventh, referee Jimmy Wilson ruled that Torres had not actually hit Jordan hard enough to put him down and the fight was declared a ‘no contest’. Subsequently, the California State Athletic Commission suspended Jordan indefinitely. In 1961 Lucchese crime family mobster Frankie Carbo, known as "The Czar of Boxing" was charged with extortion and conspiracy regarding Jordan, convicted and given a 25-year federal sentence. Others convicted were Louis Tom Dragna (conviction overturned), Truman Gibson, Joe Sica, and Frank "Blinky" Palermo.

After being robbed and seriously assaulted in a Los Angeles parking lot in September 1996, Don Jordan went into a coma, and died in a nursing home in San Pedro, California, on 13 February 1997.

Name: Peter Waterman
Born: 08-12-1934
Birthplace: London, United Kingdom
Died: 1986-00-00 (Age:51)
Nationality: United Kingdom
Hometown: Clapham, London, United Kingdom

Peter Waterman represented Great Britain as a lightweight at the 1952 Helsinki Olympic games. His results were:-

* Defeated Oscar Juan Galardo (Argentina) 2-1
* Lost to Alexander Grant Webster (South Africa) 0-3
Waterman also won the ABA Light welterweight title in 1952.

Name: Emilio Marconi
Born: 11-1-1927
Birthplace: Grosseto, Toscana, Italy
Died: 31-08-2010 (Age:83)
Hometown: Grosseto, Toscana, Italy

W 52 (11 KOs) / L 12 (3 KOs) / D 7

Despite a relatively short boxing career, Downes managed to accomplish a great deal in the sport, most notably by winning the World Middleweight Title on the 11th July 1961 by defeating Paul Pender at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England.

After a successful first fifteen months in the profession, comprising of 17 wins and 2 defeats, Downes won the British Commonwealth Middleweight Title, vacated by Pat McAteer's retirement, by beating Phil Edwards on the 30th September 1958 at the Harringay Arena, London. In the autumn of 1959, Downes went on to lose and then win back the title off John Cowboy McCormack. On the 5th July 1960, Downes successfully defended the title against Edwards once more.

Downes lost his first World Title shot with Pender in January 1961. The following Summer, however, Downes fought in London as opposed to Boston, and defeated the American convincingly infront of a raucous Wembley crowd. Pender would win back the title the following year, defeating Downes in Boston once more, this time on points.

Downes responded to the loss of his title by winning his next 7 bouts, and having felt he had accomplished all he could at Middleweight level, he fought Willie Pastrano for the World Light-Heavyweight Title in Manchester, England on the 30th November 1964. Pastrano knocked Downes down twice in the 11th round, retaining his title, and it was to be Downes' last fight.

One of the most impressive scalps of Downes' 8-year career was that of Sugar Ray Robinson in the Autumn of 1962.

Robinson was, however, 41 at the time, and when asked after the fight how it felt to beat a boxer of such esteem, Downes famously replied, "I didn't beat Sugar Ray, I beat his ghost."

Downes fought 6 World champions and beat 3: Robinson, Pender and Joey Giardello. His record is impressive: 44 fights, 35 wins (28 ko's), 9 losses.

Name: Freddie Cross
Born: 01-05-1935
Birthplace: Abertillery, Wales, United Kingdom
Hometown: Nuneaton, Warwickshire, United Kingdom

W 24 (7 KOs) / L 8 (5 KOs) / D 1

Philip Cilia (born 12 May 1936) was a Welsh Middleweight who fought under the name Phil Edwards. Edwards was Wales middleweight champion from 1957 until his retirement in 1962. One of the best British fighters at his weight, Edwards was unfortunate to box during the reign of Terry Downes, and he twice failed in a challenge for the British title against Downes.

Boxing Career
Edwards was born in Cardiff, Wales in 1962 as Philip Cilia to a Maltese father and Welsh mother. He was orphaned at the age of 11, but was looked after by an older brother. Edwards showed promise as a young amateur boxer, winning many competitions and in 1951 he was awarded a watch by Field Marshal Montgomery after being named as best boxer at the annual British Schools Championship. Edwards was seen as a real British title challenger, and whilst an amateur, boxing writer Nat Fleischer described him as the best prospect I've seen since Sugar Ray Robinson.

Edwards turned professional at the age of 16, taking on his mother's maiden name. His first fight as a pro was against Fred Leek at the Drill Hall in Willenhall on 28 October 1952, and Edwards stopped his opponent in the second round via a knockout. Over the next two years Edwards was a regular at both Willenhall and the town hall at Walsall, with infrequent bouts in Cardiff and Birmingham. During this period he fought on 30 occasions, winning 25 of them. Then in 1956 Edwards took a forced break from fighting to complete his National Service, posted to Brecon with the South Wales Borderers.

Edwards returned to the ring in May 1956 against Fred Jeacock at the Embassy Sportsdrome in Birmingham. He stopped Jeacock in the third round through a technical knockout, and this victory began a string of 14 winning fights. This run, which included a win over Welsh light heavyweight champion, Noel Trigg, culminated in a title challenge against Freddie Cross for his Welsh middleweight belt. Cross and Edwards met at Pandy Park in Crosskeys on 21 August 1957, in a twelve-round contest. In the early stages of the fight, Cross appeared ahead on points but was knocked down in the eighth. Despite this, Edwards continued to chase the fight in the later rounds in an attempt to catch up on his poor early performance. When the referee made his decision to award the fight and the Welsh title to Edwards, after the bout went the full distance, there was uproar from the crowd. Chairs were thrown into the ring and the police were called to settle the 5,000 strong crowd. In the fray, Edward's manager Benny Jacobs, was injured by a member of the public who was attempting to take a kick at the new champion.

Edward's very next fight after his title success was against Nigerian boxing legend Dick Tiger. Tiger was a one-time World middleweight and light-heavyweight World champion, and Edwards showed his class by lasting the full ten rounds, losing on points. After the Tiger fight, Edwards was back to winning ways, and was victorious in his first four fights of 1958, defeating Commonwealth title challenger Lew Lazar, Scotland's John Woolard, journeyman Jimmy Lynas, and in his first overseas bout Edwards travelled to Gothenburg where he dispatched Swedish middleweight champion Olle Bengtsson. Edwards then faced Freddie Cross for a second time in a title defence of his Welsh middleweight belt. This time there was little controversy when Edwards was given a points decision.

On 30 September 1958, Edwards was given his first chance at the British middleweight title, recently vacated by the retired Pat McAteer. His opponent was Londoner Terry Downes, and Edward's team made the decision for him to sit back in the early rounds to play on Downes supposed weakness as a distance fighter. The strategy was a failure, as by the half way stage of the contest Edwards had taken too much punishment and he was unable to up his own work rate. The referee stopped the bout to save Edwards from further punishment in the thirteenth round. Edwards was given a second shot at the title in July 1960, after ten fights without loss. He again faced Downes, this time at the Empire Pool in Wembley. The fifteen round fight lasted only until the twelfth round, when Edwards was stopped by a technical knockout, it a hard fought and frenetic contest that saw both men requiring stitches to the face after the bout.

After losing to Downes, Edwards took four months off, before returning to the ring to face Nigerian Orlando Paso. Despite having beaten Paso twice in earlier meetings, Edwards suffered a technical knockout in the fourth round, resulting in the his first back-to-back losses of his professional career. Matters worsened when in February 1961 when he fought John "Cowboy" McCormack, who had briefly held the British middleweight title in 1959. The match was an eliminator for another shot at the middleweight title and after the fight went the full distance, McCormack was given the decision. Edwards fought twice more in 1961, beating American Neal Rivers and Londoner Pat O'Grady. The next year was Edward's final year as a professional. He started well beating his first three opponents by points, but on 24 September he faced George Aldridge at Granby Halls in Leicester for another eliminator for the British title. The fight went the distance, but again Edwards came up short losing the decision. This was Edwards' last professional fight.

Lew Lazarus
An outstanding English welterweight and middleweight in the 1950's, Lazar fought for British titles in both divisions, but never won a major championship.

Birth and Death Dates:
Date of Birth 3rd February 1931

Career Highlights
Lazar began his professional career as a welterweight in 1951 and went undefeated in 12 bouts that year; he won 11 bouts, eight by knockout. The following year, Lazar won all 12 of his fights (four knockouts), and then ran his unbeaten streak to 26 bouts by winning his first two matches in 1953. On April 20 though, he suffered the first loss of his career in an eight-round decision to Terry Ratcliffe. One month later, Lew got revenge in their rematch, winning on a third-round technical knockout.
In October 1953, Lazar defeated Ratcliffe again (10th-round TKO) in an elimination match for the British welterweight title. Although he did not fight for the championship that year, Lazar was the top ranked contender and got a shot at the title in 1954. On October 19, Lazar entered the ring against Wally Thom, who held both the European and British welterweight crowns. Lazar had a career record of 32-1-1, but had never held a title and was an underdog against the more experienced champion. With both titles on the line, Lazar was knocked out in the sixth-round and Thom retained his belts.

Lazar rebounded nicely from his defeat and moved up to the middleweight division. He won six of his next eight fights before facing Terence Murphy on September 22, 1955 in Shoreditch, England for the Southern Area middleweight title. The bout, which Lazar won in a 12-round decision, was the first boxing match ever held on the English television station, ITV (it was ITV's first day of programming). In November, Lazar then defeated Les Allen in 10-rounds in an elimination bout for the British middleweight title.

Lazar followed his victory over Allen by beating Billy Ellaway in April 1956 in the final eliminator bout to become the No. 1 contender. Pat McAteer, who captured both the British and British Empire titles in 1955, made his first title defence in October 1956 against Lazar. With both titles on the line, Lew and McAteer met in Nottingham, but Lazar again fell short of the title as he was knocked out in the fourth-round. It proved to be his final chance at any title.

In September 1957, Lazar fought future world middleweight champion Terry Downes, and lost an eight-round decision. Lazar fought twice more after the defeat and beat Dennis Booty in eight-rounds in November 1957. Two months later, he fought for the final time in his career against top contender for the British crown, and Welsh champion, Phil Edwards. Lazar lost on a fifth-round technical knockout and retired after the bout. He won 48 of 60 career decisions, and although he never won a title, Lazar was the No. 1 British contender in two weight classes and a fine boxer in his day.

London, England

Career Statistics:
Professional record:
Wins: 42 (18 by knockout)
Losses: 8
Draws: 4