Dick McTaggart Great Britain's greatest ever amateur boxer and Melbourne 1956 Olympic gold medallist RARE Scottish Championships lightweight (9st 7lbs) winners 2 page programme. The Scottish Amateur Boxing Association, Scottish Championships 1962, 24th February 1962, Music Hall, Edinburgh.
Dick McTaggart representing Kelvin A.B.C. defeated M. McKenzie (Buccleuch A.A.C.) in the semi-finals via points decision and won the competition by defeating J. Costello (Dennistoun Youth Club) in the final.
Condition good (contains handwritten annotations offering vital information on winners, losers & replacements - contains light creases)
Richard McTaggart MBE (born October 15, 1935) from Dundee, Scotland, who competed in the Lightweight division during his career as an amateur.
McTaggart competed at two Olympic games as a Lightweight (1956, 1960), and one as a Light welterweight (1964).
McTaggart won the gold medal in 1956, and was awarded the Val Barker Trophy, as the games outstanding boxer. He won the bronze medal in 1960, and was eliminated in the 3rd round in 1964. McTaggart was also a five-time ABA champion (1956, 1958, 1960, 1963 and 1965). McTaggart purportedly won 610 of his 634 amateur bouts.
Olympic Results 1956
* 1st round bye
* Defeated Chandrasena Jayasuriya (Ceylon) points
* Defeated Andre Vairolatto (France) points
* Defeated Anatoly Lagetko (Soviet Union) points
* Defeated Harry Kurschat (United Team of Germany) points
*He won a bronze medal at the Rome Olympic Games, where he was beaten in the semi-final by the eventual winner, Poland's Kazimierz Pazdzior.
*Moving up a division to light welterweight, at Tokyo he was eliminated at the quarter-final stage by another Polish boxer, Jerzy Kulej who went on to claim gold.
* 1954 ABA Featherweight runner-up, losing to Dave Charnley (Fitzroy Lodge ABC) RSC 1 in final
* 1956 ABA Lightweight champion, defeated Eddie Kane (Lochead BC) in final
* 1958 ABA Lightweight champion, defeated Johnny Cooke (Maple Leaf ABC) in final
* 1958 British Commonwealth Lightweight champion
* 1960 ABA Lightweight champion, defeated Cedric Williams (Bargoed & Deri ABC) RSC 2 in final
* 1961 European Lightweight champion
* 1962 ABA Lightweight runner-up, losing to Brian Whelan (Chiswick General ABC) in final
* 1963 ABA Light welterweight champion, defeated Larry O'Connell (Fitzroy Lodge ABC) in final
* 1965 ABA Light welterweight champion, defeated Larry O'Connell (Fitzroy Lodge ABC) in final
Awards And Honours
Member of the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame
Order of the British Empire - Member (MBE)