15 Year Old Randolph Turpins First Ever Boxing Award ORIGINAL 1943 ABA Junior Championships 8st Winners Certificate Representing Leamington Boys Club

15 Year Old Randolph Turpins First Ever Boxing Award ORIGINAL 1943 ABA Junior Championships 8st Winners Certificate Representing Leamington Boys Club

15 year old Randolph Turpin's first ever boxing award ORIGINAL 1943 Amateur Boxing Association Junior Championships 8st (Class A) winners certificate representing Leamington Boy's Club.

Junior Championships Of Great Britain, 1st May 1943, People's Palace, Mile End Road, E.1. London.

Randolph joined the Leamington Boys Club, which was run by John 'Gerry' Gibbs, a Police Inspector, who soon saw the promise in Randy. Starting at twelve, Randy had 100 amateur contests, winning 95.

In 1943 the Leamington Boy's Club, hailed its first national title holder when Randolph Turpin won the Junior (Class A) 8 stone Championship Of Great Britain.

The following year he won the junior (Class B) 9st 7lb national title and in 1945 became the junior (Class B) 10st 7lb champion. Twenty three days later he made boxing history by winning the ABA welterweight title, the first and only boxer to win junior and senior national titles in the same season. Turpin celebrated his seventeenth birthday just eighteen days before pulling off this history making double and, needless to say, he became the target of nearly every boxing manager in the country.

Amateur Titles
*1943 ABA Junior 'Class A' Champion 8st.
*1944 ABA Junior 'Class B' Champion 9st 7lbs.
*1945 ABA Youth 'Class B' Champion 10st 7lbs.
*1945 ABA Welterweight Champion.
*1946 ABA Middleweight Champion.

ChampsUK are honoured and humbled to be the proud owners of Randolph Turpin's first ever boxing award won in 1943 at the young age of 15. He has been described as the most exciting personality to grace the British boxing scene in the 1940's and 50's. During his professional career his achievements culminated in him becoming British, European & British Empire middleweight, British & British Empire light heavyweight champion and in 1951 his skills and punching power enabled him to take the World middleweight crown from the fabulous Sugar Ray Robinson.

Professionally framed and double mounted/matted measuring 18" x 26 1/2". The certificate (card stock) is in excellent condition.



Randolph Adolphus ('Randy') Turpin (7th June 1928 – 17th May 1966) known as the Leamington Larruper, and was considered by some to be Europe's best middleweight boxer of the 1940's and 1950's.

Born in Leamington Spa, to a black father who had emigrated from Guyana and a white British mother, he started like his brother Dick to be trained in the art of boxing at Leamington Boys' Club.

Turpin turned professional in London in 1946, soon after his 18th birthday. Trained by his elder brother Dick, who himself was a successful middleweight, Randolph knocked out Gordon Griffiths in his first bout. Turpin put together a string of 16 wins in a row, all over the United Kingdom, until drawing with Mark Hart over six rounds in his last bout of 1947.

Three wins later, he found himself facing Albert Finch who inflicted on Turpin his first defeat, an 8-round-decision loss. After one more win he lost again, knocked out in 5 rounds by Jean Stock in London.

Turpin was determined not to lose again after the Stock defeat, and put together another string of wins which reached 12 (including a 4-round disqualification win against William Poli).

Rematched with Finch, this time with the British middleweight title on the line, Turpin avenged his first loss and won his first championship by knocking out Finch in five rounds on 17th October 1950 at Harringay Arena.

Three more wins followed, including a disqualification win in 8 rounds against important challenger Tommy Yarosz. He then met European middleweight champion Luc Van Dam in London, whom he knocked out in the first round to seize the European championship.

Four wins followed after that, including a rematch with Stock, against whom he avenged his second defeat, knocking him out in 5 rounds. Then World middleweight champion Sugar Ray Robinson travelled to London and, on 10th July 1951, risked his title against Turpin, who won the World title by beating Robinson on a 15-round decision.

Turpin became an instant national hero. His win over Robinson gave him such celebrity that even many people who were not boxing fans knew who he was. When he signed for a rematch with Robinson and chose Gwrych Castle near Abergele in North Wales to train, the castle was constantly hounded by fans and tourists.

His days as a World champion didn't last long, however, and when he made his first trip outside his homeland for a fight, he lost his crown to Robinson by a tenth-round TKO with eight seconds left in the round at the Polo Grounds in New York on 12th September 1951.

This turned out to be the beginning of Turpin's problems, because he would begin to miss the sweet life that being a World boxing champion gave him.

He tried to regain his former status and, three fights later, beat Don Cockell in 11 rounds by a knockout to conquer the British Commonwealth light-heavyweight title.

Turpin went back down in weight, and beat Georges Angelo to regain his British middleweight title, and put on another string of wins, leading to his challenge of Bobo Olson for the World middleweight title that Robinson had left vacant after retiring.

His second trip to New York turned into another 15-round defeat, this time at the hands of Olson.

In 1954, he went to Rome where he lost his European middleweight title by a knockout in the first round to Tiberio Mitri.

He kept trying mightily as he could to regain his former condition as a World champion and even retained his British middleweight title a few times in his next ten fights, but he lost two of them to obscure opponents.

After that, he managed another winning streak against some obscure boxers, but by 1958 it was clear his best days in boxing were long over. He lost that year to Yolande Pompey, another future World title challenger, by a second-round knockout in Birmingham, and retired in 1959.

In 1962, he began another comeback which lasted for only two fights, both of which he won, the last being held in Malta.

He retired with a record of 66 wins, 8 losses and 1 draw. Of his 66 wins, 48 came by knockout.

By now he was so short of money that he resorted to professional wrestling. His name meant that he drew moderate crowds for a short time but in the end this venture was not a success because he was a fighter not a showman.

Retirement And Suicide
According to articles, reports and a biography, Turpin couldn't deal with the obscurity resulting from the loss of his crown. In Llandudno in Wales, he bought a public house on the Great Orme, which today retains several genuine artefacts from his career. Between 1952 and 1961, he was the registered licensee.

After being declared bankrupt, Turpin committed suicide by shooting himself in 1966. It is reported that, on the same day, he tried to kill his daughter.

Turpin was inducted as a member of the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in Canastota, New York in 2001. There is a statue of him in Market Square, Warwick.