Jim Driscoll vs Frank Spike Robson 1910 British Featherweight Championship And One Thousand Pounds Vintage Commemorative Silk

Jim Driscoll vs Frank Spike Robson 1910 British Featherweight Championship And One Thousand Pounds Vintage Commemorative Silk

Jim Driscoll vs Frank 'Spike' Robson (1st fight) 1910 British featherweight championship and £1000 vintage commemorative silk

Original Jim Driscoll boxing silk for his fight with Frank 'Spike' Robson. The 110 year old silk pictures Jim Driscoll of Cardiff 'Featherweight Champion Of The World' with his colours and Welsh emblems in the corners. Dated April 18, 1910 at the National Sporting Club in London. This fight was for the British featherweight title. Driscoll prevailed knocking out Robson in the 15th round. Measures 33" x 33"

Condition very good (thinning in parts, small hole to right of centre & red colour run in several places. However, bold colour and print with clear image. RARE especially in this fine condition)

Price: £1750

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Jim Driscoll vs Frank 'Spike' Robson 1911 (2nd fight fight)

James "Jim" Driscoll commonly known as Peerless Jim (15 December 1880 – 30 January 1925) was a Welsh boxer who learned his trade in the boxing ring and used it to fight his way out of poverty. Driscoll was British featherweight champion and won the coveted Lonsdale belt in 1910. He is a member of the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame, the Ring Magazine Hall of Fame, and the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Early Life
Driscoll was born in Cardiff in 1880 to Cornelius and Elizabeth, and was brought up on Ellen Street in the Newtown region of the town. Driscoll's parents were both Irish, and both Catholicism and the local St Paul's Church would be key in his life. Driscoll never forgot his roots; he was a faithful supporter of his church, remained close to his community, and had great affection for the Nazareth House Orphanage, for whom he once gave up the chance of becoming Featherweight Champion of the World.

Driscoll's father died in a goods yard accident before Driscoll was one. His mother was forced to accept parish relief to bring up her four children, and soon the family moved into a boarding house with another five people in 3 Ellen Street. Elizabeth was forced to take a job shovelling vegetables and fish from the hulls of ships at Cardiff Docks. Growing up in poverty, Driscoll took employment while still a boy, becoming a printer's devil for the Evening Express in St. Mary Street in Cardiff.

Boxing Career
Early History
Driscoll was an apprentice with the Western Mail printing works, when he began boxing in the fairground booths of south Wales. He fought on the boxing booths of South Wales for a number of years and had somewhere in the region of 600 fights before turning professional in 1901, and by the end of the year he had secured twelve wins without defeat. The following year, of the seven recorded fights, he only failed to win once, a draw with Harry Mansfield in Cardiff. Between 1903 and 1904 Driscoll continued fighting, mainly in Wales, but on 22 February 1904 he fought his first match at the National Sporting Club in London, a points decision win over Boss Edwards. That year he also suffered his first defeat in a return bout against Mansfield, losing by points in a ten-round clash.

On 26 February 1906, Driscoll took the British Featherweight title by defeating Joe Bowker in a 15-round contest at the National Sporting Club. He undertook four more fights before his first defence, which included beating Mansfield by knockout in their fourth meet. His first title defence, held on 3 June 1907, was a copy of his title win, another contest with Bowker at the National Sporting Club in Covent Garden. This time it was a twenty-round match and Driscoll stopped his opponent in the seventeenth via a knockout.

The 24 August 1907 is recorded as a non-contest fight between Driscoll and fellow Welshman Freddie Welsh. Boxing historians such as Andrew Gallimore have cast doubt on this being a professional contest and instead a display fight at a fairground. Welsh supposedly took advantage of this situation and attacked Driscoll with kidney and rabbit punches. Driscoll never forgave his former friend for taking such liberties.

On 24 February 1908, Driscoll faced New Zealander Charlie Griffin for the vacant Commonwealth Featherweight title. Again fought at Covent Garden, the match went the full fifteen rounds with Driscoll declared champion on a points decision.

Boxing In The US
After claiming the British and Commonwealth featherweight titles Driscoll went to prove himself in the U.S.. American boxing fans of the era favoured all-action boxers, but they were won over by the Cardiffian's skills, giving him the nickname 'Peerless Jim.' (Another common nickname for him was "Jem," and in his home town he was affectionately called "The Prince of Wales.") Featherweight champion Abe Attell faced Driscoll in 1910; the Welshman dominated the fight, but with the "no decision" rule in place, without a KO he couldn't take the crown. Driscoll declined a rematch in order to attend an exhibition match in aid of the orphans of St. Nazareth House: "I never break a promise." He returned to the United States the next year, but a chest infection and an injury in a road accident sustained just days before meant a poor showing when he faced Pal Moore, losing by newspaper decision. He returned shortly after to Britain, and never got his title shot at Attell.

After becoming the first featherweight to win a Lonsdale Belt, Driscoll prepared for an eagerly-anticipated fight against Freddie Welsh. The match was a disappointment, though, as Welsh's spoiling tactics upset Driscoll's style. By the 10th round, Driscoll's frustration boiled over, and he was disqualified for butting Welsh.

Later Years
Driscoll's boxing career was interrupted by World War I, where he was recruited as a physical training advisor. In succeeding years, he continued to box despite failing health, relying on his skills to keep him out of trouble. When he died in Cardiff of consumption at the age of 44, over 100,000 people lined the streets for his funeral. He is buried at Cathays Cemetery in Cardiff, Wales, where fresh daffodils always adorn his grave.

A statue was erected in his honour near the Central Boys' Club, where he trained, in 1997.

Driscoll's final official record is 58-3-6, with 39 KO's, however due to the scoring practices of the time, that yields 6 no-contest bouts on his record. Newspapers used to announce a winner in no-contest bouts, and taking that into account, his true record is 63-4-6 with 39 KO's.

Driscoll bequeathed his Lonsdale Belt to his cousin, Tom Burns, who ran the Royal Oak Hotel in Adamsdown, Cardiff. Today the pub is decorated with Jim Driscoll and other boxing memorabilia.

In January 2016 an hour long documentary about him, "Jim Driscoll: Meistr y Sgwâr" (Jim Driscoll: Master of the Ring), was broadcast on the S4C television channel.

One northeast boxer who seems to have been forgotten in the realms of time is the Featherweight Frank Robson, although he never achieved Worldwide claim nor indeed had a vast amount of fights compared to other fighters of the time he did enter the ring with some of the best fighters around and fought around the World. Spike as he was known hailed from South Shields which is on the Northeast coast and was born in 1877; he amassed 29 fights in his pro career with a record of 15-10-4.

He had his first pro fight at the age of 23 and after a KO win he fought for the 122lb English title against George Phalin and won this fight billed as a championship fight by a first round knockout.

On the 11th of April 1903 he entered the ring with no other than the former World champion and first ever black World champion George Dixon aka “Kid Chocolate” who at this stage of his career had fought well over 100 bouts. Although past his best Dixon was still regarded as the favourite in the fight and Robson not only won the bout on points over 15 rounds at the Ginnett’s circus in Newcastle but also beat Dixon again in a return bout just over a month later and this time it was fought over 20 rounds. His career now stood at 4 wins from 4 bouts.

Even though he fought for many English titles at a weight from 122-126lb most were not recognised due to them only being over 2 minutes, however in 1905 he fought for the British Featherweight title against Joe Bowker and lost narrowly over 20 rounds. A year later however in 1906 he once again fought for the British title and this time won the fight over the experienced Johnny Summers who was disqualified in the 4th round for hitting low.

Robson had already tasted fighting in the USA and had 3 fights with the talented “Harlem” Tommy Murphy winning 2 and losing one. He continued to fight in America in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and although he lost four and drew 1 it was against the likes of Abe Attell and the great Joe Ganns. His next fight was in New York against the American Terry McGovern and it’s reported by the papers that Robson fought well and deserved more than a draw which was recorded.

Robson returned home soon after his fight in New York and had nearly a 2 year layoff before fighting no other than Jim Driscoll at the National Sporting Club, Covent Garden, London on the 18th of April 1910. It was for the British title and for a purse of £1,000 but Driscoll was something special who at the time had a fight record of 49-1-3, Robson tried his best but was knocked out in the 15th round, the defeat did not deter him from a rematch with Driscoll around 7 months later and once again he lost to Peerless Jim by TKO in the 7th in what would be Robson’s final fight.

Spike passed away in 1957 aged 69.