Champions Of Scotland With 3 World Champions Plus Olympic Gold Medallist And British Champion MULTI SIGNED National Flag

Champions Of Scotland With 3 World Champions Plus Olympic Gold Medallist And British Champion MULTI SIGNED National Flag

'Champions of Scotland' 3 World Champions, Olympic Gold Medallist and British Champion MULTI SIGNED national flag. Measures 60" x 36"

*Ken Buchanan MBE (Undisputed World Lightweight Champion)

*Josh Taylor (Unified Light Welterweight World Champion)

*Ricky Burns (3 Weight World Champion)

*Dick McTaggart MBE (Competed in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics in the lightweight division and won a gold and a bronze medal, respectively. In 1956 he received the Val Barker Trophy for best boxing style at the Olympics)

*Lee McGregor (British & Commonwealth Bantamweight Champion)

Condition excellent (light ink dotting/spots - well away from the signatures)

Price: £125

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Scotland's Finest

Ken Buchanan, MBE (born 28 June 1945), former Undisputed World lightweight champion from Edinburgh. Buchanan is regarded by many as not only the greatest Scottish boxer of all time, but also one of the greatest British fighters ever and the greatest British lightweight boxer in history.

Boxing Career
Early Career
Before turning pro, Buchanan was the 1965 ABA featherweight champion. He started boxing professionally on 20 September 1965, beating Brian Tonks by a knockout in the second round in London. He spent much of the early parts of his career fighting undistinguished opponents in England. His Scottish debut came in his 17th fight, when he outpointed John McMillan over 10 rounds on 23 January 1967. Prior to that, he had also beaten Ivan Whiter by a decision in 8 rounds.

Lightweight Challenger
Buchanan ran his winning streak to 23 consecutive bouts before challenging Maurice Cullen on 19 February 1968 for the British lightweight title in London. He knocked Cullen out in the 11th Round and became a World classified lightweight challenger.

He continued his way up the World lightweight rankings by defeating Leonard Tavarez, Angel Robinson Garcia and Whiter (in a rematch) among others, but on 29 January 1970, he found his first stone on the boxing road when he challenged future World Jr. welterweight champion Miguel Velazquez in Madrid, for the European lightweight title. Buchanan lost a 15-round decision to Velazquez, but nevertheless, he continued his ascent towards the number one spot in the rankings by beating Tavarez in a rematch, Chris Fernandez and Brian Hudson, the latter of whom was beaten by a knockout in five in a defence of the British lightweight title.

World Champion
On September of that year, Buchanan travelled to Puerto Rico, where he would meet Ismael Laguna, the World lightweight champion from Panama, on 26 September. Many experts thought that San Juan's warm weather would affect Buchanan, but he upset those who thought that way and beat Laguna by a 15-round decision to become World's lightweight champion. At that time, the WBA and the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC), were in the middle of a feud, and Buchanan was not allowed to fight in Scotland. He had to resort to fighting overseas for a short period of time. He finished 1970 beating Donato Paduano by a 10-round decision in a non-title bout.

Buchanan defeated Rubén Navarro in Los Angeles on 12 February 1971, acquired the vacant WBC championship and became the Undisputed World Lightweight Champion. After that, he was allowed to fight in Scotland again, and he returned there to beat former World junior welterweight champion Carlos Morocho Hernández by a knockout in eight.

Stripping Of Title
He was stripped of the WBC title for failing to defend against Pedro Carrasco on 25 June 1971. But he remained the WBA World lightweight champion.

Then, he flew to New York to meet Laguna again, this time defending his World title. Buchanan retained the title with another decision over Laguna, and then he had a couple of non-title affairs, one in London and one in South Africa. The South African fight against Andries Steyn in Johannesburg was a mismatch with his opponent's corner throwing in the towel in the third round.

His next defence came on 26 June 1972, against Panama's greatest, the then undefeated Roberto Durán at the Madison Square Garden (MSG) in New York, in a bout which had a highly controversial ending. Durán was ahead on all three cards at the end of the 13th round, when both fighters exchanged punches after the bell. Buchanan went down, writhing in pain from a low blow, that Buchanan's trainer, Gil Clancy, said was caused by a knee to the groin. Referee Johnny LoBianco awarded the fight to Durán, insisting that the blow that took down Buchanan was "in the abdomen, not any lower" and that he felt that Buchanan would be unable to continue fighting. Columnist Red Smith of The New York Times wrote that LoBianco had to award the victory to Durán, even if the punch was a low blow, as "anything short of pulling a knife is regarded indulgently" in American boxing. Buchanan never received a rematch with Duran during the remainder of his boxing career; according to Gil Clancy this was because of no fan interest.

It is interesting that both fighters, his predecessor and his successor at the WBA championship were both Panamanians, Laguna and Duran.

In his next fight, Buchanan beat former 3 time World champion Carlos Ortiz by a knockout in six, also at the MSG, and he finished 1972 with a win over Chang Kil Lee.

Later Career
In 1973, Buchanan started out by beating future World lightweight champion Jim Watt by a decision after 15 rounds, to regain the British lightweight title. Soon, he embarked on another international tour that included more fights in the United States, several fights in Denmark, and one fight in Canada. He won each of those fights, leading towards a challenge of European lightweight champion Antonio Puddu in Italy, and Buchanan added the European lightweight championship belt to his shelf by defeating Puddu by a decision in 15 rounds. He retained the title by beating Tavarez for the third time, this time by a knockout in 14 at Paris, and then he travelled to Japan to fight for the World title again. This time, however, he was defeated by a decision in 15 rounds by the WBC's World champion, Guts Ishimatsu.

Buchanan re-grouped once again, and won in a defence of the European lightweight title against Giancarlo Usai by a knockout in 12. But he retired from 1976 to 1978, leaving the European lightweight title vacant.

When he returned to professional boxing in 1978, he won two straight bouts, but everything else started going backwards for him. Challenging Charlie Nash in Copenhagen, he lost by a decision in twelve. In 1980, he won two bouts in a row, but after that, he lost five bouts in a row, finally retiring for good after losing to George Feeney by a decision in eight on 25 January 1982. In 2000, he was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Josh Taylor (born 2 January 1991) He is a unified light-welterweight champion, having held the WBA (Super), IBF, and Ring magazine titles since 2019. At regional level, he held the Commonwealth light welterweight title from 2016 to 2017. As an amateur, he won a silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and gold at the 2014 edition.

As of November 2019, Taylor is ranked as the World's best active light welterweight by BoxRec and second by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB). He is also ranked as the World's tenth best active boxer, pound for pound, by the TBRB. With 12 of his 16 wins coming by way of stoppage, he currently has a 75% knockout-to-win ratio.

Amateur Career
Taylor was a junior taekwondo champion, and turned to boxing at 15. He spent a short time at Meadowbank ABC and then moved onto Lochend ABC under coach Terry McCormack of Edinburgh. Taylor won a silver medal in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, where he was beaten by Thomas Stalker in the lightweight final by 11–3.

Following the European Qualifying Event in Trabzon, Turkey, the ACB Lochend boxer qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, losing to number two seed Domenico Valentino in the round of 16. Taylor became the first lightweight Scottish boxer to qualify for the Olympics since Dick McTaggart, who won a gold medal in Melbourne in 1956 and a bronze in Rome at the following games.

He reached a Commonwealth Games final again in 2014, this time at light welterweight. Taylor won the gold medal, defeating Junias Jonas of Namibia in the final. Taylor also represented the British Lionhearts at the World Series of Boxing.

Professional Career
Taylor started his professional career in June 2015, signing with Barry McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions, and is trained by Shane McGuigan. Taylor made his debut in July 2015, defeating Archie Weah with a second round technical knockout (TKO).

In his seventh fight, Taylor picked up the Commonwealth light-welterweight title by beating Dave Ryan with a fifth round stoppage. Ryan went down twice over the course of the bout. Ryan had previously held the title between 2014 and 2015. Taylor won his first seven fights by knockout. His streak came to an end against Alfonso Olvera, who went 8 rounds with Taylor at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on 28 January 2017. Taylor won the fight by unanimous decision (79-72, 78-73, 78-73). On 24 March Taylor defended his Commonwealth title for the first time, beating Warren Joubert with a sixth round TKO, after hurting him several times with left hooks. Joubert went down in round six and his corner threw in the towel.

Taylor vs Davies
On 8 July Taylor faced WBC Silver champion and fellow unbeaten prospect Ohara Davies. The two had previously taunted each other on Twitter. Taylor would also be defending the Commonwealth title. He stopped Davies, dropping him once in round three and twice in round seven before the referee halted the contest.

Taylor vs Vázquez
Taylor defended his WBC Silver title against former lightweight World champion Miguel Vázquez on 11 November at the Royal Highland Centre. Although Vázquez's style seemed to pose problems for Taylor early on, Taylor wore him down as the fight went on. Vázquez went down in round nine from body shots, and he failed to beat the count. This was Vázquez's first stoppage loss.

On 18 January 2018 it was confirmed that Taylor would defend his WBC Silver light welterweight title against veteran Humberto Soto on 3 March 2018, at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. On 24 February 2018 it was revealed that Soto had sustained an injury whilst training meaning he had to pull out the fight. On the same day, Nicaraguan Winston Campos was announced as his replacement.

Taylor vs Postol
In June 2018, Taylor fought former WBC light welterweight World champion, Viktor Postol of Ukraine and gained a unanimous decision win in a twelve round fight, meaning that he was placed in the mandatory position to fight WBC light welterweight World champion, José Ramírez. The fight took place at the SSE Hydro, Glasgow.

World Boxing Super Series
On 30 June 2018, it was announced that Taylor would join fellow light welterweights Ryan Martin, Terry Flanagan, Regis Prograis, Eduard Troyanovsky, Anthony Yigit, Ivan Baranchyk and WBA champion, Kiryl Relikh in the eight man tournament.

Taylor vs Martin
At a gala held in Moscow, Taylor selected to fight American Ryan Martin in the quarter-finals. Taylor dominated the fight with Martin throwing few punches. In the seventh round, Taylor landed a flurry of punches that staggered Martin which resulted in referee Victor Loughlin stopping the fight.

Taylor vs Baranchyk
Taylor won his first World title, the IBF light welterweight title, by unanimous decision against Belerusian Ivan Baranchyk in Glasgow on 18 May 2019. Taylor scored two knockdowns in the fight.

Taylor vs Prograis
Taylor won a unification bout against WBA (Super) light welterweight champion Regis Prograis by majority decision in the final of the World Boxing Super Series at The O2 Arena in London on 26 October 2019. The fight was shown live on Sky Sports Box Office. The judges scored the fight 114-114, 115-113 and 117-112 in favour of Taylor. Taylor lifted the Muhammad Ali Trophy as the winner of the 2018-19 World Boxing Super Series - Light-welterweight division along with the vacant Ring magazine title.

Ricky Burns (born 13 April 1983) from Coatbridge, Scotland. He is one of only three British boxers to have won World titles in three weight divisions and the first from Scotland, having held the WBO junior lightweight title from 2010 to 2011; the WBO lightweight title from 2012 to 2014; and the WBA super- lightweight title from 2016 to 2017. At regional level he held the Commonwealth super-featherweight title from 2008 to 2009, and has challenged for the British and European super-featherweight titles.

Professional Career
Early career
Burns first fight as a professional was a four round victory in October 2001 over Woody Greenaway at the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland. On 12 December 2004, following a string of seven wins over opponents including Jeff Thomas, Ernie Smith and Daniel Thorpe he was matched against fellow unbeaten prospect Colin Bain. The fight, at the Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, resulted in a first career defeat for Bain as Burns won over the six round distance. For Burns, the win set him up for a journey south of the border to face the unbeaten British lightweight champion Graham Earl in a non title fight. The fight with Earl took place at the Wembley Conference Center and Burns produced one of the upsets of the year when he scored a points victory to beat Earl over eight rounds.

Domestic Title Fights
The win against Earl meant he would land a shot at the big time when in February 2006, he took on reigning British, Commonwealth and European champion Alex Arthur. The fight took place in Edinburgh and ended in defeat for Burns, as Arthur retained on points. Burns who was still only a 12 fight novice at this stage took the fight to Arthur prompting the champion to heap praise on him; "Ricky Burns was in superb shape and he was up for the fight" said Arthur, "He's a brilliant boxer with a great future and he could be a World champion one day." Burns himself refused to be disappointed with the loss saying; "I don't count that as a loss. I'm just 22 and it was great experience for me".

Burns next had a crack at the British title almost exactly a year later when in February 2007, he met reigning champion Carl Johanneson at the Town Hall in Leeds. The fight ended once again in defeat with Burns losing a 12 round decision to the experienced champion. Johanneson intent on winning well before his home crowd hounded Burns throughout the fight and managed to knock Burns down three times.

Regaining Composure
After the defeat to Johanneson, Burns took the decision to leave his old boxing club in a bid to seek a new challenge. Burns had worked with Rab Bannan at the Barn Boxing Club for over 14 years, but the Johanneson defeat prompted a need for a change of direction. On telling his former mentor the news Burns said; "It was a nightmare having to tell him. It was really sad because I’ve been with him for 14 years. All my boxing life really. It was really hard but we left on good terms and we shook hands and I’m sure our paths will cross again." Burns moved to the Dalmarnock gym in Glasgow, where he could train alongside the likes of Willie Limond and Kenny Anderson.

Since the fight with Johanneson, Burns won eight fights in a row. A ten round win over Romanian Gheorghe Ghiompirica at the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow gave him the lightly regarded British International Masters belt. Burns also spent time sparring former opponent Alex Arthur in preparation for Arthur's WBO Super-Featherweight title defence against Nicky Cook.

Commonwealth Champion
In September 2008, Burns was in line for a crack at the vacant Commonwealth title, a belt which had been given up by Londoner Kevin Mitchell. The challenge took place at the York Hall in Bethnal Green and saw Burns outpoint the Ghanaian Osumana Akaba over 12 rounds. The fight, which was taken with only weeks notice after the original main event on the card was cancelled, propelled Burns into the championship frame. Speaking of his future ambitions Burns said; "There is only one fight I want at the moment. That fight would be the current British champion Kevin Mitchell. He recently has been injured, and won't be back until December so we'll have to see what happens".

Burns defended his crown at Glasgow's Kelvin Hall soon afterwards in November 2008, against another Ghanaian, Yakubu Amidu. The African fighter had a record of 16–1–1, with all his victories coming by way of stoppage. Burns however was too much and his superior fitness levels showed as the referee stopped the contest in the seventh round, handing victory to the Scotsman. Burns second defence took place in March 2009, and saw Burns halt former British champion Michael Gomez in the seventh round. On 20 June 2009, Burns made perhaps the toughest defence of his title yet with a hard fought 12 round win over Northern Ireland's Kevin O'Hara, with the assistance of the highly experienced trainer Billy Nelson and his Fighting Scots Gym in Stepps. Ricky became Billy's first World champion.

Burns vs Martínez
Burns success in the ring had elevated him to the number one ranking with the World Boxing Organization's rankings. Burns' promoter Frank Warren tried to negotiate a match with the reigning champion Roman Martínez. The bout with the Puerto Rican champion had been subject to numerous delays with the fight scheduled for both Scotland and Puerto Rico at various intervals only for the fight never to materialise and for Martinez to make a voluntary defence of his title instead. The uncertainty for Burns meant that a proposed British title contest against Gary Sykes never happened with Sykes winning the title against Burns replacement Andy Morris and defending against the man Burns had defeated in his last Commonwealth title defence Kevin O'Hara. Finally after almost a year of frustration Burns re-entered the ring on 15 May 2010, on the undercard of Kevin Mitchell's World title shot against Michael Katsidis at the Boleyn Ground. Burns continued his winning streak and kept ticking over with an eight round win over journeyman and former foe Youssef Al Hamidi. Burns claimed after the fight that he hoped the fight with Román Martinez would materialise around July and that it would be in Glasgow.

The WBO super-featherweight title showdown between Burns and Roman Martinez was eventually confirmed on 24 June 2010 and scheduled to take place at the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow on 4 September. Speaking at the announcement of the fight Burns said; "this has been dragging on a bit..it is the biggest fight of my career but I'm more than confident that I can beat him". Finally on 4 September, Burns entered the ring at Kelvin Hall to face the WBO's unbeaten reigning World champion Roman Martinez. Martinez had held the title for over a year winning it from Englishman Nicky Cook and defending twice against Colombian Feider Viloria and Argentinian Gonzalo Munguia. Despite suffering a knockdown in the first round, Burns took the fight to the champion winning on all three judges scorecards 115–112, 115–112 and 115–113 to inflict a career first defeat on Martinez and finally winning the World title.

Speaking of the fight, Burns promoter Frank Warren said; "this was the best night I've ever had in Scotland and I've had some great shows with Scott Harrison and Alex Arthur as well as bringing Nigel Benn and Frank Bruno up here." Describing the atmosphere at the Kelvin Hall as "electric" he went on to praise Burns, who in winning the title had become Scotland's 12th World champion, saying Scotland had a new "sporting hero" and that the win would lead to a renaissance in Scottish boxing. It also transpired that before the fight the manager of Celtic, Neil Lennon had called to wish Burns the best and sent him a Celtic strip signed by the whole of the first team as a good luck present.

Burns vs Evensen
On 4 December 2010, Burns defended his title for the first time against Norwegian boxer Andreas Evensen who held the WBO inter-continental belt at featherweight. The fight, at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow, resulted in another unanimous points win for Burns with the Scotsman also scoring a knockdown in the first round.

On 12 March 2011, Burns made his second defence again at the Braehead Arena. His opponent the Ghanaian boxer Joseph Laryea had won the WBO Inter-Continental title win a victory over Scotsman Paul Appleby on the same night that Burns beat Evenson. The fight was stopped in the 7th round after Laryea withdrew citing a broken knuckle with Burns ahead in the fight.

Burns vs Cook
Burns' next defence was scheduled for 16 July 2011 and against former WBO Champion Nicky Cook, in Liverpool's Echo Arena. The fight resulted in a 93 second stoppage for Burns as Cook's corner threw in the towel following an injury to his back. After only six seconds a punch from Burns resulted in Cook receiving a count and complaining of back trouble. Cook was sent to the canvas twice more before his corner retired the boxer handing a third straight defence of the title to Burns who said that he would like to fight the South African boxer Mzonke Fana next.

Burns was next scheduled to meet mandatory challenger, and Boxrec No. 1 rated Super featherweight, Adrien Broner, but announced on 22 September 2011 that he would be relinquishing his WBO Super featherweight title and moving up to compete at lightweight. Burns said that the move up a weight division would ease the pressure of having to control his weight saying "the last couple of fights it was getting harder and harder for me to do it." Adrien Broner commented on the situation, saying, "You vacated the title talking about you couldn't make weight no more. But you just fought four times and defended this title", Broner further said, "But everyone knows boxing is a game where you can duck fighters... and I guess he felt like running away was best for his career."

Burns vs Katsidis
In his first fight at the weight it was announced that Burns would fight Australian Michael Katsidis in London for the WBO interim lightweight title. Speaking of the fight Burns said that it would definitely be the toughest of his career saying "I don't think they could have got me a harder fight if they tried, he's been in with the best of the weight, he's proved himself, obviously he's one of the best in the division and it's a great chance to get out there and show what I can do." On 5 November 2011, Burns took on Katsidis for the WBO interim lightweight championship and despite being the slight underdog went on to win the fight by unanimous decision. After the fight Burns claimed to have "proved a lot of people wrong" as some people "thought Michael would walk all over me". Speaking of the fight he added "Michael didn't give me a minute, he kept coming forward but I'd prepared for that. I'm doing my job and that's the way I always look at it."

Burns vs Moses
On 26 January 2012, Burns was installed as WBO lightweight champion after former champion Juan Manuel Márquez moved up a division to Welterweight. Ricky defended his WBO Lightweight title against Namibian fighter Paulus Moses. He will have the hometown advantage with the fight being held in Braehead Arena, Glasgow. Burns said, "It's great news about the title but it's back to reality and training hard for what will be a tough title defence against Moses in my homecoming in Scotland. For the last 10 years I’ve been grafting away in my career. But in the last couple of years it has really taken off with me beating Roman Martinez and then beating a great warrior like Katsidis to put me up there with the best in the World." Ricky would go on to successfully defend his title via a unanimous points win, with Moses out boxed by Ricky, who was awarded victory 119–110,120–110,117–111 by the three judges.

Burns vs Mitchell
In June 2012 it was confirmed after months of negotiations that Burns' next fight will be another defence of his WBO Lightweight title, against former WBO Inter-Continental Lightweight champion Kevin Mitchell on 22 September 2012. In front of a sold out Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre Burns turned in a career best performance to defeat Mitchell via fourth round TKO. Burns looked the much bigger man on fight night and seemed to recognise this adopting a more aggressive style, he was gaining control of the fight by the 4th round out boxing Mitchell he would go on to Knock Mitchell down twice in Round 4 in the last minute of round 4 and a further onslaught forced the referee to stop the fight. After such a dominant performance, Burns was able to make a legitimate claim to being of the best at 135 pounds.

Promotional Changes
On 15 December 2012, Burns was expected to defend his WBO Lightweight title against Liam Walsh at the ExCeL, London. Walsh was later involved in a car crash and had to pull out. Walsh's replacement was revealed to be Jose Ocampo. Ocampo however, had to pull out due to death of his trainer, then followed an announcement from Burns that he would not be competing in London on that date after not being able to find an opponent in time. With promoter Frank Warren unable to secure an opponent for a rescheduled date of 26 January 2013, Burns declined the opportunity of an exhibition bout, deciding instead to take a long rest between fights.

On 4 March 2013, the unification fight between Burns and Miguel Vazquez (which was originally scheduled for 16 March 2013) was postponed to 20 April 2013 because Vazquez was suffering from a viral infection. Burns was due to defend his WBO title while also challenging for Vazquez' IBF title. The Vazquez fight was also called off with Burns manager Alex Morrison telling The Scotsman "I doubt very much that fight was ever going to happen – leading to an announcement on 7 March 2013 that Burns had left Frank Warren's promotion stable.

Miscellaneous Defences
On 11 March 2013 it was confirmed that Burns had joined Eddie Hearn's Matchroom promotions and fought for the first time under Matchroom on 11 May 2013, when he faced Puerto Rican Jose Gonzalez at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, a fight broadcast on Sky Sports. Burns won the fight in the ninth round after being out boxed in the first 6 rounds however the fight took a drastic change in round 7 where Burns was hurt before firing back in true championship style, Burns dominated rounds 8 & 9. Gonzalez refused to come out for the tenth round citing a damaged wrist for pulling out of the fight despite being 87-84 ahead on all 3 cards.

Burns vs Beltrán, Crawford
Burns's promoter Eddie Hearn announced that Burns would fight again on 7 September 2013 against Ray Beltrán of Mexico at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre. Burns was knocked down in the 8th round. The bout ended in a controversial split-decision draw as the vast majority of observers believed Beltran had won and the decision is seen as one of the worst decisions of 2013. The draw meant Burns retained his WBO Lightweight title. It was confirmed after the fight that Burns had broken his jaw as early as the second round.

After having surgery the following day it was unsure when, and if, Burns would be able to fight again, but after the surgery was successful, Burns expressed interest in a rematch with Beltran. However, the WBO installed Terence Crawford as Burns's mandatory challenger and the bout took place on 1 March 2014 in Scotland. Crawford defeated Burns by unanimous decision, boxing well on the outside and picking his shots to win the WBO Lightweight title. Burns earned a career high £500,000 for the fight.

Burns vs Zlatičanin
On 27 June 2014 Burns fought Dejan Zlatičanin at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow. It was an eliminator fight and for the WBC International title. Burns lost the fight to Zlaticanin on split decision points, this was his second consecutive loss.

Light- Welterweight
After the loss to Zlatičanin on 27 June 2014, Burns promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed on 4 July 2014 that he would have a "Make or Break" 10 round fight in a move to the light-welterweight division. This was on 4 October 2014 at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, giving Burns a break from fighting in Scotland, the fight was originally scheduled for 13 September 2014 in Manchester but was moved due to an elbow injury Burns sustained in the Zlaticanin fight. Burns defeated French journeyman Alexandre Lepelley via points on his light-welterweight debut on 4 October 2014.

Burns vs Figueroa Jr.
In his US debut, Burns faced off against undefeated former WBC Lightweight champion Omar Figueroa Jr. on 9 May 2015 in Hidalgo, Texas. In a fight that saw both men land clean hard punches throughout was over shadowed by disgraceful refereeing as 2 points were deducted from Burns for holding and for repeatedly moving both boxers hands whilst they were in a dominant position within the clinch. Burns lost a controversial decision as the judges in Texas scored the fight widely to the home fighter. Two judges scored the fight 116-110 and the third had it 117-109.

Burns then went on to win two consecutive fights, firstly with a TKO victory against Prince Ofotsu on 1 August 2015 in Hull then winning via KO against Josh King on 7 November 2015 in Liverpool.

Burns vs Di Rocco, Relikh
It was confirmed on 15 March 2016 that Burns would fight Italian boxer Michele di Rocco for the vacant WBA light welterweight title at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on 28 May 2016. The title became vacant after Adrien Broner failed to make weight in his previous fight and subsequently stripped. Burns dominated from start to finish with his jab and right cross, knocking his opponent down in the third and stopping him in the eighth in front of a packed crowd. With this win Burns became a three weight World champion, one of only three British fighters in history, also the first Scotsman to achieve this feat.

WBA ordered Burns to defend his world title against their Inter-Continental champion Kiryl Relikh (21-0, 19 KOs) of Belarus, who is promoted by former World champion Ricky Hatton. The official announcement was made with The SSE Hydro in Glasgow as the venue and 7 October as the date. After starting off slow in the first couple of rounds, Burns used his experience and took the fight to 12 rounds. Burns seemed to take some shots which seemed to shake him for split seconds as he carried on and showed that he is a master of pacing 12 round fights. Burns needed good movement as Relikh switched to and from the southpaw stance which helped cut the distance. At the end of the fight, the three judges scored the fight with scores of 116-112 twice and a rather wide 118-110. Some pundits ringside including Relikh's trainer Hatton believed the wide scoring was harsh due to the fact there was constant back and forth action. With Burns retaining the World title paved the way for a fight in December against former champion Adrien Broner, possibly in the US.

Burns vs Indongo
In late December, there were talks for a potential unification fight between Burns and IBF and IBO champion Julius Indongo (21-0, 11 KOs). Indongo acquired the two titles after knocking out then undefeated Eduard Troyanovsky in less than a minute on 3 December. In January 2017, Freddie Roach named Burns a potential opponent for Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao for 23 April. On 9 January, Burns' manager Tommy Morrison confirmed a deal was being put together for Burns to fight Indongo in a unification fight in April at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow. On 11 January, Sky Sports confirmed a deal was reached for Burns and Indongo in a unification title bout on 15 April 2017. The WBA, IBF and IBO titles would be at stake. This was Scotland's first ever unification fight. Burns failed to become Scotland's first unified World champion when he lost via a one-sided unanimous decision with wide scores of 120-108, 118-110 and 116-112. In the last two rounds, Burns hit the canvas three times, but these were ruled as a slip. Following the defeat, Burns praised Indongo, "He was so so awkward. He was a lot better than we thought he was going to be. He can hit as well." He also said that he wouldn't retire.

Return to Lightweight
Burns vs Crolla
On 7 July 2017, STV news reported there was talks between Burns and fellow Brit Anthony Crolla (31-6-3, 13 KOs) about a potential all-British fight towards the end of 2017. Talks suggested a fight would likely take place in Manchester or Glasgow at light-welterweight. A provisional date of 14 October 2017 was being considered. Both boxers tweeted a day earlier confirming their interest in the fight. Burns told Sky Sports, he agreed to the fight straight away when he first heard about the speculations. He said, both he and Crolla were in the same position, coming off losses. At the time, Burn's compatriot Josh Taylor had been calling him out for an all Scottish showdown. Crolla admitted the fight would be a 'make or break' fight for both of them and could steer the defeated boxer into retirement, whereas the winner could line himself up for another potential World title fight. On 7 August 2017, it was confirmed by Eddie Hearn that a deal had been reached between Crolla and Burns for a fight to take place at lightweight on 7 October, live on Sky Sports. Manchester Arena was confirmed as the venue, marking it the first time Burns would fight in Manchester. Hearn spoke to Sky Sports about the fight, "What a fight between two great warriors. Both Anthony and Ricky are in similar places in the careers and they know that this absolute must win. Knowing these two like I do this is going to be a fight until the finishing bell with neither taking a backward step. It's an all-British super fight between two great (former) World champions." Crolla won the fight via 12 round unanimous decision. In the end, the three judges' scored the fight 116-113, 117-112, 116-114. Sky pundits at ringside had either Crolla winning or a draw, however none believed Burns had done enough to warrant a win. Crolla was the busier fighter throwing much more than Burns and focused a lot on body shots. Burns made Crolla miss a lot with his movement and looked to land cleaner and accurate punches. Both fighters embraced in the end, as they had shown mutual respect for one another in the build up. In the post fight, Crolla said, "I thought I definitely did enough. He just kept coming, he gave me a very tough fight, but I thought my quality shots won it." Burns felt he did enough to win the fight saying, "Although it was close, I thought I did enough. thought I landed the cleaner shots. In my eyes, I thought I just edged it." Crolla also said he would be willing to travel to Glasgow for a rematch.

Burns vs Njegac, Cardle
On 26 May 2018, Burns' 50th professional fight was announced to take place at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle on 16 June on a card co-headlined by Josh Kelly and Lewis Ritson. It was the first time Burns fought in Newcastle. In a scheduled 6 round bout, Burns retired his Croatian opponent Ivan Njegac after round 4. After the bout, Burns stated he intended to carry on boxing.

On 3 November, at just one weeks notice, Burns stepped in to replace Joe Cordina and fight Scott Cardle (23-2-1, 7 KOs) on 10 November 2018 at the Manchester Arena. Cordina withdrew from the bout after picking up an injury. Prior to stepping in, Burns was originally scheduled to appear on a Matchroom USA card in Kansas, USA on 17 November. Burns dominated and then knocked out Cardle in round 3 to continue his comeback in 2018. It was a right hand which sent Cardle to the canvas. Cardle managed to beat the count, but referee Mark Lyson called a halt to the about at 2:06 of round 3. Although Burns did not call anyone out in the post fight interview, he stated he was chasing big fights in 2019.

When Dick McTaggart punched his way to gold in 1956, boxing was in his family's blood.

Post-war National Service offered three McTaggart brothers an opportunity to shine in the boxing ring, an arena in which they excelled.

In 1954, one brother was the army Middle East boxing champion, another was Navy champion.

Richard 'Dick' McTaggart completed the set by becoming RAF champion.

Early Life
Born in Dens Road, Dundee in 1935, McTaggart was the third youngest of 18 children.

Between 1945 and 1963, 6,000 of Great Britain's young men were conscripted for National Service every fortnight.

Corporal Dick McTaggart was working as a cook in the RAF when his talent for boxing led to the Melbourne Olympic Games of 1956.

He had considered giving up the sport, but now the sportsman with his distinctive crew cut and white boots headed to Melbourne for the first Olympic Games to be held in the southern hemisphere.

Melbourne 1956
In what was to prove a vintage year for British boxing, McTaggart was one of five amateur boxers who returned home from Melbourne with Olympic medals - Terry Spinks, John McCormack, Tommy Nicholls, Nicky Gargano and McTaggart himself.

McTaggart beat boxers from Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), France and the Soviet Union on points to meet Harry Kurschat of the United Team of Germany in the Olympic lightweight final.

Both the flyweight and lightweight division finals were scheduled for 1 December.

At the age of 18, Terry Spinks took a gold medal in the flyweight division.

In the lightweight final, McTaggart was to collect Great Britain's second boxing gold.

Clearly unaware of the Scot's Dundee origins, the Melbourne 1956 Official Report records that "McTaggart fought in the true English tradition of amateur boxing."

Despite being European champion, Kurschat found McTaggart's lethal right hand difficult to deal with and found himself on the canvas on two occasions in the first round.

According to the official report, Kurschat was "a very good boxer who had to be content with second place."

With his footwork and economy of movement, McTaggart had demonstrated enormous skill and style throughout his Olympic bouts.

He was rewarded with the Val Barker trophy as the most stylish boxer of the Melbourne Games.

Aside from the golds of Spinks and McTaggart, Nicholls was a featherweight silver medallist with Gargano and McCormack both taking bronze in their divisions.

The BBC's renowned boxing commentator Harry Carpenter was to say of the Dundonian, "The greatest amateur I ever saw was Dick McTaggart."

After Melbourne
McTaggart went on to appear in two further Olympics, becoming the first British boxer to compete in three Olympiads.

He won a bronze medal at the 1960 Rome Olympic Games, where he was beaten in the semi-final by the eventual winner, Poland's Kazimierz Pazdzior.

Moving up a division to light-welterweight, at Tokyo in 1964 he was eliminated at the quarter-final stage by another Polish boxer, Josef Grudzien, who went on to claim gold.

McTaggart was crowned Commonwealth champion at Cardiff in 1958 and European champion in Belgrade, 1961.

In 1962, he collected a silver at the Perth (Australia) Commonwealth Games.

McTaggart's career at amateur, Commonwealth and European level is staggering.

He won 610 of 634 amateur bouts and is a five time Amateur Boxing Association champion at both lightweight and light-welterweight.

In recognition of his Olympic victory, he was awarded the MBE and inducted into the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame in 2002.

In 2010, Abertay University awarded one of Dundee's most remarkable sons an Honorary Doctorate of Arts.

Dick McTaggart retired from the ring in 1965. He now lives in Troon and maintains his involvement in the sport which made him famous.

Lee McGregor (born 24 December 1996) from Scotland has held the Commonwealth bantamweight title since 2018 and the British bantamweight title since November 2019.

Professional Career
McGregor made his professional debut on 11 November 2017 against Stefan Sashev at the Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, winning via first-round technical knockout.

On 23 June 2018, he defeated Goodluck Mrema at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow via second round TKO to capture the vacant IBF Youth bantamweight title.

His next fight came on 13 October 2018, against former Olympian Thomas Essomba at the York Hall, London, for the vacant Commonwealth bantamweight title. McGregor captured the title with a twelfth round knockout in only his fifth professional bout. Two fights later, he made the first defence of his Commonwealth title on 22 June 2019 against Scott Allan at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow. McGregor successfully defended his title via eighth round TKO.

On 16 November 2019, he beat Ukashir Farooq, retaining his Commonwealth bantamweight title and capturing Farooq's British title at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow, by controversial split decision.