Terry Marsh Former Undefeated IBF Light Welterweight World Champion SIGNED Original Victory Celebration Photo

Terry Marsh Former Undefeated IBF Light Welterweight World Champion SIGNED Original Victory Celebration Photo

Terry Marsh former undefeated IBF light welterweight World champion SIGNED (silver sharpie) original black & white victory celebration 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" photo.

Condition very good (typed caption to bottom edge)

Price: £20

Please view shipping amounts or please contact us for any other enquiries.

Shipping Amount:   £

Terry Marsh (born 7 February 1958 in Stepney, London, England) former undefeated World champion in the light welterweight division.

Marsh was a three time ABA senior amateur champion who went of to become the British, European and IBF light welterweight World champion as a professional. He was the first European boxer ever to retire as an undefeated World Champion, a feat later equalled by Romanian Michael Loewe, Germany's Sven Ottke and Welshman Joe Calzaghe.

Marsh was charged with the attempted murder of his former manager, the boxing promoter, Frank Warren following Warren's shooting in London in 1989. Marsh spent 10 months on remand before he was released after being acquitted at trial.

In 2010, Marsh changed his name by deed poll to "None Of The Above X" and stood in the that year's general election as an independent candidate. He changed his name as a protest against there being no option to select "None of the above" in the election.

Early Life
Marsh was born in Stepney, East London where he grew up in a small terraced house with his parents and three brothers.

Marsh, who was a junior chess champion, began boxing as a youth at the St George's Club in Stepney before the family moved to Basildon in Essex.

Before he became a professional boxer, Marsh was a Royal Marine who served in Cyprus and in Crossmaglen in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. He later became a firefighter with the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service, serving on White Watch, Tilbury.

Amateur Career
As an amateur Marsh won three senior national titles whilst representing the Royal Navy boxing team. Marsh's first title came in 1978 in the lightweight division beating Edmund Gajny in the final. The following year Marsh moved up to the light welterweight division and again reached the final but was this time defeated by Eddie Copeland. In 1980, Marsh again moved up a weight, to welterweight, and again reached the final, defeating Edward Byrne.

1981 saw Marsh's final year as an amateur: this year he remained at welterweight and again reached the final, his fourth in a row. In the 67 kg final, he defeated the future British, Commonwealth and WBO champion Chris Pyatt to win his third senior title.

Professional Career
He had his first professional fight in October 1981, defeating Andrew DaCosta on points over six rounds, in Bloomsbury, London.

In his thirteenth fight he won the vacant Southern Area Light-Welterweight Title, defeating Vernon Vanriel on points over ten rounds, at York Hall in Bethnal Green.

In September 1984, he defeated Clinton McKenzie to take the British Light-Welterweight Title. The fight was at the Britannia Leisure Centre, Shoreditch, and Marsh won on points over twelve rounds.

In October 1985, he fought the Italian, Alessandro Scapecchi for the vacant European Light-Welterweight Title. The bout was held in Monte Carlo and Marsh won by a knock out in the seventh round.

He successfully defended his European title against Tusikoleta Nkalankete (French) in January 1986, and Francesco Prezioso (Italy) in April 1986.

On 4 March 1987, he fought the American, Joe Manley for the International Boxing Federation (IBF) World Light-Welterweight title. The fight was at his home town of Basildon, and Marsh won on a technical knockout in the tenth round.

On 1 July 1987, he defended his IBF title against Japanese fighter, Akio Kameda at the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington.

Marsh won, what was to be his last fight, by a technical knockout in the seventh round.

He then retired as undefeated IBF World champion.

The Shooting Of Frank Warren
On 30 November 1989, Warren was to attend one of his boxing promotions at the Broadway Theatre in Barking which featured Colin McMillan. As he arrived at the venue he was approached by a masked gunman who appeared from the crowd and shot him twice in the chest with .22 bullets from a Luger pistol at close range. The gunman fled and Warren was taken to hospital. Warren lost half a lung and was in great pain after the shooting.

The business style of Warren had made him enemies, and following his shooting there were a number of suspects. The ongoing libel case between Marsh and Warren led police to believe Marsh had a strong personal motive to undertake the attack due to the bad blood between the pair.

During a search of Marsh's home police found ammunition in his possession, but this was explained by Marsh's previous career as a Marine and it did not match the bullets used in the attack. Two months after the shooting and despite the lack of forensic evidence, Marsh was charged with the attempted murder of Frank Warren and was remanded in custody.

During the trial a prison confession was used against Marsh.

Marsh, who was of exemplary character, did not appear in the witness box to give evidence. He was subsequently acquitted.

Marsh had to make the tough decision to retire in December 1987 after he was diagnosed as having epilepsy. At this point, his life changed in a number of ways. In 1989, his manager Frank Warren was shot in London and Marsh was tried for his attempted murder. He was subsequently acquitted.

Marsh was celebrated in Pitsea, Essex in the late 1980s with the Terry Marsh Leisure Centre named in his honour.

However, subsequent squabbles between local councillors have seen this renamed the Eversley Leisure Centre, although the plaque bearing his image remains.

Since then, Marsh has attempted to enter politics, first for the Labour Party. However, when Labour announced they would have a female-only short-list for Basildon, he stood for the Liberal Democrats at the 1997 General Election, but was forced to withdraw from the contest, as he was charged with fraud and deception for allegedly having fraudulently claimed two student grants after going back to university at the end of his boxing career. He was later cleared of the offence. In 2009, he set up a new political party, NOTA, which stands for "None of the Above".

He has since written and published his autobiography, Undefeated.

2010 General Election
In 2010, Marsh became a candidate in that year's general election as an independent candidate in the seat of South Basildon and East Thurrock. Marsh changed his name by deed poll to "None Of The Above X" as a protest against there being no option to select "None of the above" as a selection in the election. Under UK law, a political party cannot call itself "None of the Above", but there is nothing banning people called "None of the Above". Marsh, or Mr. X as he is now legally known, has said that if he won the seat he would not take his seat in parliament.

Amateur Achievements
*1978 ABA Lightweight champion
*1980 ABA Welterweight champion
*1981 ABA Welterweight champion
*1981 Multi-Nations Gold Medalist - Manila